Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Six Month Summary, July 2012


Jo at The Book Jotter had a lovely idea for looking back at the books read in the first six months of the year.  My personal emphasis in reading this year has been crime fiction... as it is most years. One of the things I find most enjoyable about blogging is looking back at what I have read, and having the ability to do that more easily now.

Jo's categories were different. I used a few of hers and added a couple of my own. I allowed some overlap between categories. I don't read that many books in six months...

Six books I have enjoyed the most

The most surprising was The Guards by Ken Bruen. Never thought I would like that. Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout is an old friend.
  1. Berlin Game by Len Deighton
  2. The Guards by Ken Bruen
  3. Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George
  4. Bluffing Mr. Churchill by John Lawton
  5. An Empty Death by Laura Wilson
  6. Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout
Six new authors (to me):

Len Deighton was my favorite discovery this year. I love spy fiction, but he went beyond my expectations.
  1. Len Deighton
  2. Tony Cape (overview here)
  3. Ed McBain
  4. Tana French
  5. Mark Mills
  6. Ken Bruen 
Six authors I have read before
(and am looking forward to reading more of)
  1. Elizabeth George
  2. John Lawton
  3. Jo Nesbo
  4. Lawrence Block
  5. Robert Barnard
  6. Rex Stout
Six Historical Novels I enjoyed

My favorite time period to read about is World War II, but these cover the early 1900's up through World War II. 
  1. Winter by Len Deighton
  2. Second Violin by John Lawton
  3. A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd
  4. An Empty Death by Laura Wilson
  5. The Information Officer by Mark Mills
  6. The Company of Strangers by Robert Wilson
Six Espionage Novels I enjoyed

Mostly Cold War stuff here.
  1. The Cambridge Theorem by Tony Cape
  2. Berlin Game by Len Deighton
  3. Mexico Set by Len Deighton
  4. London Match by Len Deighton
  5. Spy Hook by Len Deighton
  6. The Company of Strangers by Robert Wilson
Six series of books read or started
  1. Len Deighton – Bernard Samson (reading #5 in the series)
  2. John Lawton – Inspector Troy (have read all but one)
  3. Robert Barnard – Charlie Peace (read #8 in the series)
  4. Laura Wilson – D.I. Ted Stratton (read #2 in the series)
  5. Jo Nesbo – Harry Hole (started)
  6. Ken Bruen – Jack Taylor (started)

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

Nice lists...had to go take a peek at your review for the Elizabeth George book. Glad you've been able to stick with her. I gave her up when she killed off Helen.