Friday, March 21, 2014

Once Upon a Time VIII

The Once Upon a Time Challenge, hosted by Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings, has begun. And I am very excited about joining in for the second time. I have a stack of books I have been saving for this challenge.


Check out the post for Once Upon a Time VIII with rules and sign-ups and check out his other posts, too.

A brief description of the event from that post:
Friday, March 21st begins the eigth annual Once Upon a Time Challenge. This is a reading and viewing event that encompasses four broad categories: Fairy Tale, Folklore, Fantasy and Mythology, including the seemingly countless sub-genres and blending of genres that fall within this spectrum. The challenge continues through June 21st and allows for very minor (1 book only) participation as well as more immersion depending on your reading/viewing whims.
My goal is to complete Quest the First. For this quest, I will read at least five books in any of the above categories during the three months of the challenge. I already know I will read mostly fantasy, and some of my choices will blend fantasy and mystery in the same book.


These are the books I definitely want to read for this challenge:

  • Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch 
  • Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch
  • Among Others by Jo Walton
  • 9Tail Fox by Jon Courtenay Grimwood

Other possibilities are:

  • The Black Company by Glen Cook
  • Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams
  • Land of Dreams by James P. Blaylock
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling




18 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I like the four categories particularly folklore and mythology. India is rich in both though I wouldn't know about translations into English. Good luck, Tracy.

TracyK said...

Prashant, I keep planning to expand my reading to include folklore and mythology, but there is only so much time and I don't read that fast.

Cath said...

I love the two Aaronovitch books. Good choice. And I too have Among Others on my list. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting challenge, Tracy! So much richness in some of those stories. I look forward to reading your reviews.

col2910 said...

Good luck with this one Tracy. I'll be an interested by-stander for this challenge.

Anonymous said...

It's not really my genre but I'll be interested in the reviews. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I completely overlooked that this challenge was starting so I am glad I've seen your post because I'm really keen to take part! I really hope you like the Aaronovitch ones; for me, each of those books is better than the last. I hope to get around to reading Broken Homes really soon.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Cath, I know we will both enjoy the challenge.

Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

Hmm, I've read lots of different opinions on Among Others, so I'll be curious to see your thoughts! Have fun going through your stack of books. :)

TracyK said...

Thanks, Margot, there is a lot of variety in my choices.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Col. I wonder if there are noir fantasies? Wait, 9Tail Fox is described as "entertaining noir." We will see, not sure about that.

TracyK said...

Sarah, earlier I would say fantasy is not my genre, and I prefer sci fi over fantasy, and of course crime fiction over all others. But lately I have found it is really the author and the skill that makes the difference.

TracyK said...

Marie, it has been difficult to save the Aaronovitch books for this challenge. I may go ahead and buy Broken Homes and try to read it in the next three months.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Cheryl. I have assumed I will like the book regardless because of the inclusion of comments on the many books the main character reads. And I think some people don't like that part of it. Since I am not an experienced fantasy reader (or sci fi for that matter), my experience may be different from devoted fantasy or sci fi fans.

Clothes In Books said...

Not my genre, but I will enjoy reading your reviews. Mind you, I do have a book by Jo Walton (unread), and I did like Harry Potter...

TracyK said...

Moira, Jo Walton wrote an alternate historical mystery trilogy set immediately after World War II that I loved. I am currently reading Moon Over Soho, which is fantasy and mystery combined (2nd in a series) and it has LOTs of clothing descriptions.

Clothes In Books said...

I'll have to get on with the one I have (Farthing?) so I can move on to that one.

TracyK said...

Moira, Farthing is the first in that trilogy and I loved it. The 2nd one was not as good, but the third was very good also.