Saturday, October 18, 2014

Planned Parenthood Book Sale, Part 3

My son purchased 14 or 15 books at the book sale. Most of them were in the fantasy or sci fi genres. He was lucky to find all the books in one trilogy and some books from series he had already started.

Two of the books he found were cross-genre mysteries. The PI in these books is a zombie. Unfortunately, he found books 2 and 3 and wants to read book 1 first.


























A brief description of the series at TV Tropes:
A horror-comedy detective series by Kevin J. Anderson, chronicling the cases of Dan Chambeaux, private investigator in the Unnatural Quarter. Shot dead while seeking his girlfriend's murderer, Dan returns to "life" as a zombie: one of countless "unnaturals" spawned by the supernatural upheaval of the Big Uneasy.
The series is also described at The Thrilling Detective Web Site.


Some of the other books he found:


One book that intrigues me is The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump by Harry Turtledove. I have not read anything by this author and this is also the first time my son has tried a book by Turtledove.

Three of the books my son purchased were in the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy. They have beautiful covers. Description of the first book in the series on Wikipedia:
Foundling is the first book of Monster Blood Tattoo, a children's/young adult's fantasy trilogy written by Australian author, D.M. Cornish. It tells the story of Rossamünd, a boy unfortunately christened with a girl's name, who has lived his entire life in a foundlingery (kind of an orphanage) before he is chosen to become a lamplighter in a far away city. The book's action takes place entirely on the Half-Continent, a Dickensian world run by arcane science and alchemy, and plagued with deadly (and not-so-deadly) monsters. It also won Best Young Adult Novel at the 2006 Aurealis Awards.
I personally don't go much for young adult fiction, but the best young adult fiction is enjoyed by all ages, so I may give this series a try one day. My son has read the first in the series, Foundling, and did like it. You can see from the photo above that the books get longer as the series continues, but each book has a good portion of back matter to explain the world and the terminology. There are also some very nice illustrations by the author sprinkled throughout the books, 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you got some interesting things, Tracy! And I'm always a fan of supporting great causes while one's also getting something as great as books.

TracyK said...

You are right, Margot. I love going to this sale, because I take risks on what I buy because I know the money goes to a good cause.

col2910 said...

The covers on the Anderson books would have me picking them up.......and possibly trying them if the first was there. Has he, you or Glen tried Charlie Huston and his Joe Pitt series of books - kind of similar only he's a reluctant Vampire.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I like the looks of all the seven books in that pile-up, particularly the top three books.

Sarah said...

As Col says, the covers of these books are great. Glad your son has the reading bug too!

TracyK said...

Col, I did not know of the Joe Pitt series, although I do have another book by that author. Doug had not heard of it either. I will have to check with Glen. Not sure what he thinks of supernatural creatures as detectives, in general.

TracyK said...

Prashant, he did get some good books. They have less fantasy books at the sale (than mystery), but he always finds interesting ones.

TracyK said...

Sarah, we are all readers and hoarders of books. I know, those covers have me wanting to try the series too.

Katrina said...

I think we have all of Harry Turtledove's books as my husband really likes his writing but I haven't read any as yet.

TracyK said...

Katrina, I looked Turtledove up and he has written a lot of books. I am going to have to look into him more. I always resist reading books of alternative history, but then I end up enjoying them.

Clothes In Books said...

Lovely-looking books, and great that your son is following in the family books tradition...

TracyK said...

They do look lovely, Moira. I am not always a fan of science fiction, but they often have wonderful covers that I covet.