Monday, May 4, 2015

Reading in April and Crime Fiction Pick of the Month



I finished the month of April having read more books than I expected. In the first 13 days of April, I finished only two books. In the remaining 17 days of the month, I finished an additional seven books. For a total of 9 books in April.

My usual reading is mysteries, but I did include one non-fiction book in that group: Your Flying Car Awaits: Robot Butlers, Lunar Vacations, and Other Dead-Wrong Predictions of the Twentieth Century. The subtitle of the book implies that it focuses on ridiculous predictions and how wacky they were. Many of the "failed" predictions were actually not so wacky. The author put the predictions in the context of the time and who was making the prediction, and where possible explained why the prediction did not pan out. It was an interesting and educational read.

These are the crime fiction books I read this month:

A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey
White Heat by M. J. McGrath
Wall of Eyes by Margaret Millar
Accounting for Murder by Emma Lathen
G is for Gumshoe by Sue Grafton
Where Memories Lie by Deborah Crombie
The Dark Side of the Road by Simon R. Green
Double Indemnity by James M. Cain

I enjoyed all of my mystery reads this month, and especially the ones from the Golden Age period. For my favorite book this month, I will pick A Shilling for Candles, the second mystery novel published by Josephine Tey, and the second book in the Inspector Grant series. I re-read this book for the Past Offences Crime Fiction of the Year Challenge for 1936 and I enjoyed it so much I want to re-read all of her mysteries. Inspector Grant is a wonderful character, but there is a secondary character in this mystery who is especially interesting. That is Erica Burgoyne, the seventeen-year-old daughter of the Chief Constable.

The Crime Fiction Pick of the Month meme is hosted at Mysteries in Paradise. See this month's post for links to other Picks of the Month.

12 comments:

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Well, I really will have to get that Tey novel - thanks TracyK.

col2910 said...

I have the McGrath and Grafton books on the pile somewhere, though with Grafton, I'll have to start at B and work towards your read one. Maybe the Cain also but I'm not sure.
Looks like you had a productive month. I'll wait for your reviews, but I think only the Margaret Millar one might tempt me, but even then I shouldn't.

Anonymous said...

You've had a great month, Tracy! And I think you've read some excellent books (well, I really enjoyed the ones that I also read). I've not yet read the Green, so thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

Your endorsement of Tey's novel is just the catalyst I need. So I am now in search of the novel. Thanks!

TracyK said...

Sergio, this was a reread that did not disappoint me. I hope you like it, when you get to it.

TracyK said...

Reading the Sue Grafton books in order probably is best, and especially the first ones. I am not sure if I will try to read all of them, but I will read more in the series. (Working on the review right now.)

TracyK said...

It was a great month in the reading area, Margot. Still behind in reviewing, but that's life.

TracyK said...

I hope you like it when you read it, Robert. I look forward to seeing a review from you.

Clothes In Books said...

Well I'm not going to argue about your choice of Shilling for Candles, since your review made me re-read this book straightaway!

TracyK said...

Moira, I had no problems making a choice, but there were lots of other books that were close to it. A great reading month.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, a good number of reads for April. I'm looking out for some James M. Cain and Margaret Millar.

TracyK said...

Definitely more reads in April than I expected, Prashant. I think you would like Millar; Cain is very different and noir but worth a shot.