Monday, August 31, 2015

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril X

                   Image used with permission, property of Abigail Larson.
For the last 9 years, Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings has hosted the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event. It starts in September and goes through October and encourages reading and sharing mysterious, horrorific, or gothic novels or short stories. It also includes watching films or TV shows in that area. Something for everyone.

This year Carl has turned the event over to Andi and Heather at The Estella Society.  Below is a list of the types of fiction that would fit this challenge:
  • Mystery
  • Suspense
  • Thriller
  • Dark Fantasy
  • Gothic
  • Horror
  • Supernatural
  • Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.
There are two simple rules:
1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.
You can view the sign-up page, which has information for various levels of participation for the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril IX event HEREIn addition to books, movies, and television, you can post about short stories or join in a group read. There is a R.I.P. Review Site where participants may post links to any book or screen posts related to this event.

I am committing to only one peril this year... Peril the First. Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between.



Every year I include a list of books I hope to read during the two months of R.I.P and usually I choose entirely different books. But who knows, maybe I will do better this year. So here is a tentative list:

Ghost Hero by S. J. Rozan
Fender Benders by Bill Fitzhugh
The Con Man by Ed McBain
The Last Enemy by Grace Brophy
The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver
All the Lonely People by Martin Edwards
Hour of the Cat by Peter Quinn
The Iron Gates by Margaret Millar
Ask for Me Tomorrow by Margaret Millar



14 comments:

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Sounds like fun - thanks Tracy.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Love Millar. Read THE IRON GATES a few years back. Not her best book but plenty good enough I thought.

Anonymous said...

I do like that acronym, Tracy! This sounds like a fun challenge, too. I'll be interested in what you think of your choices when you read them.

TracyK said...

I do it for the fun, Sergio. It isn't much of a challenge for me to read mysteries, but if I pushed myself to read more about ghosts or horror, that would be a stretch.

TracyK said...

I have seen a post by you at the Rap Sheet (I think?) on The Iron Gates which was one of my motivators to get the book. Plus Brian Busby's posts, of course.

TracyK said...

It is a nice acronym isn't it. I always call it Rest in Peace by mistake. I do hope I read Ghost Hero by Rozan this time, because she has been on my list for the past three years I participated.

Cath said...

I always make a list too and like you usually end up ignoring it. LOL! Have fun!

TracyK said...

I hope to do better this time, but whatever I pick, I am sure I will enjoy it.

J F Norris said...

I did this back in 2011 for "R.I.P. VI" and I think I may join in again. I like to turn the blog over to ghosts and supernatural fiction in October and Carl's RIP challenge is just the thing to motivate me. Ten years - wow! I'm not sure my blog will ever last that long.

TracyK said...

That's right, John, you like ghostly fiction better than I do, although I am happy to mix in supernatural sometimes. I surely hope your blog last ten years or more. Your posts are motivation and I always learn something.

col2910 said...

Enjoy, but not for me I don't think.

TracyK said...

There is something for everyone in this challenge, Col. Any of your reads would fit just about. But not everyone likes challenges.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I enjoyed Martin's "All the Lonely People" and have been meaning to read others in his Harry Devlin series. Good luck with the fun challenge!

TracyK said...

Thanks, Prashant. I look forward to reading that book. I have read a book from his other series.