Sunday, March 20, 2016

Once Upon a Time X: Reading Fantasy, Folklore, and More


(Art by Melissa Nucera)

The Once Upon a Time Challenge, hosted by Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings, takes place during the months of spring. Carl has been hosting this challenge for ten years. He describes this event thusly:
This is a reading and viewing and gaming event that encompasses four broad categories: Fairy Tale, Folklore, Fantasy and Mythology, including the seemingly countless sub-genres and blending of genres that fall within this spectrum. The challenge continues through June 21st and allows for very minor (1 book only) participation as well as more immersion depending on your reading/viewing/gaming whims.

Check out the post for Once Upon a Time X to read various options and suggestions for participation.

The option I have chosen is The Journey. I want to participate but not commit to reading a specific number of books.



These books were on my list last time but did not get read:
  • The Black Company by Glen Cook
  • Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams
  • Land of Dreams by James P. Blaylock
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
  • Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook
  • The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett
Other possibilities are:
  • The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin (2nd book of the Earthsea trilogy)
  • Declare by Tim Powers (blends a spy story with fantasy)



I may also read some short stories if I find that they fit in with this event.





14 comments:

sprite said...

I read both Harry Potter and Tailchaser's Song many moons ago and recommend both.

col2910 said...

Good luck Tracy - probably nothing there I'd be interested in reading myself if I'm honest.

Kay said...

Have a good time, Tracy! The Deathly Hallows - I ought to read that one again.

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy the journey, Tracy! I respect you for undertaking these challenges.

TracyK said...

sprite... Amazing that it has been nearly 10 years since the last book in the series was published and nearly 20 years since the series started. I have only read one book by Tad Williams before, I have heard this one is good.

TracyK said...

I do hope I get some of these read, Col. Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook is part of a fantasy private eye series, but still not the type you would want to read. You might like Declare by Tim Powers, until it shift into fantasy land.

TracyK said...

I have watched the two movies, Kay, so the story won't be a total surprise, but that is to be expected when I waited so long to read such a popular book.

TracyK said...

I wish I could read twice as fast, Margot. So hard to find time to read everything I want to.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Thanks for the reminder, I must sign up - thanks Tracy.

TracyK said...

And I will be looking forward to seeing what you read for this event, Sergio.

Cath said...

Good luck, you have some nice titles to read there.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Cath. Some of those titles have been on the list 4 years now. I hope I can read a few of those this time.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I have heard and read so much about about Terry Pratchett and his work that I want to sample his fantasy books. Good luck to you.

TracyK said...

Me, too, Prashant, and thanks. I hope I get to the Pratchett book this spring.