Monday, September 5, 2016

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril XI

In many parts of the US, the beginning of September signals a return to cooler weather. Even when I lived in Alabama, the first part of September could be very hot, but by the end of the month, it could be very, very cool in the evenings. But here in Santa Barbara, September is often very warm, and October may be the hottest month of the year. So it is not the cool weather that tells me Fall is here and Halloween is near, it is the Halloween costumes (and Christmas decorations even) in Costco at this time of year. And school starting, since my husband and I both work for institutions of higher learning. Nevertheless, this is a nice time of year and the days will shorten and the evenings will be a bit cooler.

And Carl V. at Stainless Steel Droppings is again hosting the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event, for the eleventh year. Five years ago at this time of year I joined in the R.I.P. festivities for the first time, and this will be my fifth year participating.

                       (Art by Hugo Award winning artist Abigail Larson)

As Carl describes it, this is a quest to bring a community of readers together to enjoy the literature most associated with the darkening days and cooling temperatures of Autumn:

Mystery
Suspense
Thriller
Gothic
Horror
Dark Fantasy

There are only two expectations if you want to participate:
1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril XI takes place from September 1st, 2016 through October 31st, 2016. There are various goals: reading books, short stories, watching movies or TV shows, and even playing games.

Although reviews are optional, the other staple of the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event is the Review Site, where participants share links to any reviews related to this event.

See Carl's explanatory post if you have interest in participating in this event.

My goal, as usual, will be the First Peril.


Read four books, of any length, from the very broad categories earlier defined as perilous. They could all be by the same author, a series of books, a random mix of classic and contemporary or whatever you like.

Each year I have included a list of books I hope to read during the two months of R.I.P and usually I actually read entirely different books. But I will be optimistic and continue in the tradition. So here is a tentative list:

These are books I listed last year and never got to...

Fender Benders by Bill Fitzhugh
The Last Enemy by Grace Brophy
The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver  (on the list for the 5th year!)
All the Lonely People by Martin Edwards
The Iron Gates by Margaret Millar

New for this year...

Flowers for the Judge by Marjorie Allingham (a reread)
The Diamond Feather by Helen Reilly
Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers (a reread)
Quoth the Raven by Jane Haddam (a reread) 
Death Warmed Over by Kevin J. Anderson
Thirty-Three Teeth by Colin Cotterill




20 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

So glad that you have participated for the last five years. Time does past quickly, doesn't it? I didn't believe the "old folks" when I heard that as a kid, but it has proven to be so very true the older I've grown.

Even though the weather does not cooperate where you are to provide the "atmosphere" associated with Autumn, I love that you are entering into the spirit of it with your reading and viewing.

Thanks again for being a part of this for so many years.

TracyK said...

Thank you, Carl. You are so right, time does pass faster as you get older, and I am much older than you. I enjoy this event every year.

Cath said...

Some good sounding books there. The only one I've read is Strong Poison, look forward to seeing what you think of the books you decide to read. Have fun!

TracyK said...

Thanks, Cath. Right now I am reading Death Warmed Over by Anderson (comedy / fantasy / mystery), and probably next I will read The Diamond Feather by Reilly (which is a vintage mystery). After that, who knows?

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

I do always really enjoy these - thanks Tracy!

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean about the California weather, Tracy. I'm impressed with your commitment to the R.I.P. challenge, and I'll look forward to your reviews. I'm especially happy to see the Edwards and the Cotterill on your list. I thought they were both very well written.

TracyK said...

Me, too, Sergio. My problem is keeping up with reviews. But still a lot of fun.

TracyK said...

I do hope I get to both of those books for this event, Margot. I have been wanting to read them for a while.

col2910 said...

Good luck with this one, Tracy. Hopefully you get to the Deaver book this time around!

TracyK said...

Yes, Col, I should either read it this time or give up on the series. It is one of those fat books that don't attract me.

col2910 said...

I think we've all got our fair share of those ones on the pile!

Anonymous said...

Great post and thanks for bringing this 'challenge' to my attention. I'll investigate the sign in post and see if it's for me! Santa Barbara...been there once in my life! I had 'high tea' in a hotel with a view of the Pacific. I was a guest of friends and don't remember the name of the establishment....but it was ritzy! SB has a lovely 'Main Street' with shops I just could not get enough of! Thanks for stopping by at my blog ...appreciated your comments

TracyK said...

Nancy, When you mentioned the high tea in Santa Barbara with the view of the Pacific, my first thought was of the El Encanto, which is located up in the hills over Santa Barbara. My first and longest job in Santa Barbara was at a publishing company located in the same area. But there are other places in SB I am sure that are closer to the beach and have high tea. And yes, the downtown area is wonderful.

TracyK said...

For sure, Col. I have not had a problem reading long books by le Carre, but other ones I just look at and postpone. I have got to get over that.

Anonymous said...

I was visiting family in Long Beach...but Santa Barbara won my heart. You are very lucky to live there! This morning I will join R.I.P. challenge! I think I will concentrate on Edgar Allan Poe, but still thinking about a reading list!

Jason Half said...

Thank you for sharing this challenge, Tracy. I'm quickly learning that I could easily spend all of my time participating in community discussions and writing reviews, and I need to keep working on my fiction and script projects as well! An embarrassment of entertaining riches, I suppose.

Good luck with your reading list! I look forward to seeing what you have to say about the titles -- Jason

TracyK said...

Thanks to you, Jason. I look forward to the R.I.P. event every year, but this year I was so busy I forgot about it.

I don't see how writers have any time to do any other writing. I agree, you have to choose what you focus on.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, there's something for everyone in this challenge, I think. Martin Edwards' "All the Lonely People" is a fine novel.

Jason Half said...

Thanks, Tracy! I recently read a couple of titles from Colin Cotterill's Siri Paiboun series -- The Coroner's Lunch and Slash and Burn -- and enjoyed them very much. The use of the spiritual/supernatural as a genuine character presence is also an interesting touch. If you wind up reading Thirty-Three Teeth, I look forward to your review!

TracyK said...

Yes, Prashant, the event can include very creepy, spooky books and stories appropriate to Halloween, or any other kind of mystery. And TV and movies too. I do look forward to reading All the Lonely People.