Sunday, January 21, 2018

Wild Wild West Reading Challenge 2018



Nick Senger at One Catholic Life is hosting a Wild Wild West Reading Challenge for 2081 and I am joining in. I have been planning to read some westerns for years and this is the year when it is going to happen.

Per Nick, this is the definition of a western for the purposes of this challenge:
... a western is defined as “a book set in the American Old West frontier and typically set from the late eighteenth to the late nineteenth century.” That definition can be stretched a bit to include books like Eowyn Ivey’s To the Bright Edge of the World about the Alaskan frontier, or even books like Sackett’s Land, the first of Louis L’Amour’s western series about the Sackett family, even though it begins in 17th century England.
The challenge started on January 1, 2018, and concludes on December 31. Any other information about the challenge can be found HERE.

I am signing up for the lowest level:
Lasso and Chaps = Read 2 westerns.

These are the books I have on hand to choose from:
Outrage At Blanco by Bill Crider
The Bounty Hunters by Elmore Leonard
Flaming Canyon by Walker A. Tompkins
West Of Texas Law by Walker A. Tompkins
Roy Rogers And The Ghost Of Mystery Rancho by Walker A. Tompkins
Trouble Rides Tall by Harry Whittington
Cross The Red Creek by Harry Whittington
Desert Stake-Out by Harry Whittington

16 comments:

Jerry House said...

I'd go with the Crider and any one of the Whittingtons.

TracyK said...

It was Bill Crider's review of the Whittington omnibus that convinced me to purchase it, Jerry. Those are definitely good suggestions. And I do hope to read more than just two.

Cath said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. Look forward to seeing what you read for it.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting challenge, Tracy! I hope you'll enjoy it, and I look forward to your updates.

Rick Robinson said...

I'm eager to see your reviews!

Clothes In Books said...

Good for you Tracy, and I look forward to hearing about them. I probably won't be tempted to read the books, but I will enjoy reading your comments knowing I am not adding to my TBR pile!

Nick Senger said...

Welcome to the challenge, Tracy! It looks like you've got some good titles to choose from. I've got an Elmore Leonard on my list, too, and I can't wait to read it. I just listened to an Elmore Leonard short story, "No Man's Guns" on the Levar Burton Reads podcast. A great story read by a great voice! Happy reading!

col2910 said...

Good luck Tracy. I enjoyed the Crider and Elmore Leonard's early westerns. I'm sure Prashant can give you some tips if you run out of choices!

TracyK said...

I think it will be fun, Cath. I hope to read at least one book from each of the authors in the list, but trying not to get over-ambitious.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Margot, I look forward to my first read for the challenge.

TracyK said...

I am very interested in how I react to the books, Rick.

TracyK said...

Moira, I have always thought that most westerns are similar to mysteries and thrillers, so I think it will go well and I am excited about trying a few.

TracyK said...

I am sure I am going to enjoy the challenge, Nick. You are right, I don't think I have seen a challenge to read Westerns anywhere, so I was glad to see this.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Col. When I am ready to look for more authors of westerns, I can check out Prashant's blog.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Hi Tracy and Col! I haven't read a lot of Westerns in recent years. But, Tracy, you got a good list of books there, though I haven't read Harry Whittington and Walker A. Tompkins. You can't go wrong with Elmore Leonard. Among the more popular and widely read authors, I'd recommend Louis L'Amour's FLINT (1960), GUNS OF THE TIMBERLANDS (1955) and TO TAME A LAND (1955).

TracyK said...

Prashant, it is so good to hear from you. Walker A. Tompkins lived in Santa Barbara many years, and also wrote histories of the Santa Barbara area, so I am especially interested in him.

I am glad to get some good suggestions for Louis L'Amour, since I have heard so much about him. Thanks very much.