Monday, October 15, 2018

Book Sale 2018, Part 3: My Husband's Books

It is not enough that I bring home way too many books from the book sale, but my husband and son also buy books that I want to read.

These are a selection of the books my husband found at the book sale.




Two years ago my husband found American Lit Relit by Richard Armour, this year he got English Lit Relit and It All Started with Eve. I have never read anything by this author, but I really like the illustrations.


Below are excerpts from a post at TOR.COM by Jo Walton. Read the whole post for examples of other books like this, and more about the book.
In 1939, L. Sprague de Camp came up with one of the wonderful ideas of science fiction, the man taken out of his time to a time of lower technology who works to change history and technology. ...
De Camp’s Martin Padway is a historian of the sixth century, the period he winds up in. There’s barely a handwave of explanation as to how Padway makes his way across time. As soon as Padway’s there, he puts his head down and starts to concentrate on what makes these books such fun—improvising technology from what he knows and can find around him.









Above are reissues of four vintage mysteries.

The first, Called Back, is from the vaults of HarperCollins and involves a blind man who stumbles across a murder, but is released by the assassins. Later he regains his sight, and he ends up searching for the solution to the murder. Originally published in 1883.

The Last Best Friend (1967) is from the British Library Classic Thrillers series. Murder Underground (1934) and A Scream in Soho (1940) are reissues from the British Library Crime Classics series. All three are set in London. And all have lovely covers.


A nice hardback edition of The Big Clock by Kenneth Fearing, featuring Ray Milland and Maureen O'Sullivan on the cover. O'Sullivan was the wife of the film's director, John Farrow.


My husband is a fan of Ben McIntyre's nonfiction books. As the subtitle says, this one is about "The History of the SAS, Britain's Secret Special Forces Unit That Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War." I am looking forward to reading it myself someday.



12 comments:

col2910 said...

Some interesting covers (and books I guess). I like the look of the Sims in particular. I have the Fearing, but not that edition on the pile somewhere, plus bits from MacIntyre which haven't been read - unsurprisingly.

pattinase (abbott) said...

You have a great book sale!

Rick Robinson said...

Richard Armour! I'd forgotten about him. A very popular humorist in his time. Those will be fun to read.

Anonymous said...

This is such a nice selection, Tracy! I like it that there's a mix of different sorts of books. I always think that makes book sale hauls more interesting.

TracyK said...

I think the Sims sounds good too, Col. I have read one book by Macintyre and I like the way he writes. I usually have problems reading nonfiction but he makes it exciting.

TracyK said...

We do, Patti. It has gotten bigger and bigger through the years. My husband also finds some very nice books of photographs, also.

TracyK said...

I should sample some from those books, Rick. My previous post was of fantasy and science fiction books my son found at the sale. I want to try all of those too.

TracyK said...

This books sale has a good selection in just about any area, Margot, but I am always challenged to find enough time to check all the areas. We usually go to the graphic novels area first because they don't have as many of those.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I'm with Richard on Richard Armour, who I first read over a decade ago. I don't see his books anymore. He has an easy style and a wonderful sense of humour. I like his "It All Started with..." books.

TracyK said...

I will have to try one of his books, Prashant. I might enjoy -- and benefit from -- the humor.

Clothes In Books said...

Very mixed collection there - and some very recent editions.

TracyK said...

Yes, I was surprised by the recent editions. They often have those but they have been higher priced in the past. I bought several newer books in trade paperback edition that I was interested in for only a dollar when before they would have been 4 or 5 dollars. But also much of the mystery area was gone before we even had a chance to look; they have a preview night you can pay to go to but we don't bother and dealers took a lot of mysteries. There were still plenty to choose from though.