Sunday, December 15, 2019

Classics Club Spin #22

One of the events offered by The Classics Club is The Classics Club Spin and Spin #22 has just been announced. A number will be announced on December 22nd and the goal is to read, review and post about that book by January 31, 2020.


Members who participate list twenty books from their classics list that they have not read. I enjoyed the last spin and I still need a push to get me reading from my list, so I am in for another one. I am mostly using my list for the previous spin and substituting a few new ones in.

So, here is my list of 20 books for the spin.

  1. Things Fall Apart (1958) by Chinua Achebe 
  2. Jane Eyre (1847) by Charlotte Bronte 
  3. The Master and Margarita (1967) by Mikhail Bulgarov
  4. The Postman Always Rings Twice (1934) by James Cain
  5. The Sign of the Four (1890) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 
  6. And Then There Were None (1939) by Agatha Christie
  7. Tiger in the Smoke (1952) by Margery Allingham
  8. Our Man in Havana (1958) by Graham Greene
  9. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1955) by Patricia Highsmith
  10. In a Lonely Place (1947) by Dorothy B. Hughes
  11. Foundation (1951) by Isaac Asimov
  12. A Wrinkle in Time (1962) by Madeleine L'Engle
  13. A Kiss Before Dying (1953) by Ira Levin
  14. Beast In View (1955) by Margaret Millar
  15. The Pursuit of Love (1945) by Nancy Mitford
  16. The Moviegoer (1961) by Walker Percy
  17. Much Ado About Nothing (1598) by William Shakespeare
  18. Frankenstein (1818) by Mary Shelley 
  19. Bleak House (1853) by Charles Dickens 
  20. Dracula (1897) by Bram Stoker

It was suggested that the list contain longer, chunkier books this time, but the only chunky book I added was Bleak House. There are several other longish books on my list.  I don't really have any favorites from this list;  any one of the books on the list will be a nice read.



19 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

This rarely happens to me but I have read every book on here but FOUNDATION. Sadly I read them all before the age of 25. Now I just rot like old fruit.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I take that back. I read IN A LONELY PLACE last year. A real knockout with the movie being just as good but very different.

Cath said...

I've only read four. I'm quite interested in reading Foundation, not sure how I can call myself a sci-fi fan and not have read that, but there you go. Have fun and enjoy.

Margot Kinberg said...

You've got some great reads there, Tracy! And they're all so different, which makes it all the more interesting. I'll be eager to see which one you get, and what you think of it.

Katrina said...

I've read numbers 2,6,7,8,15,17 and 18. I also have The Master and Margarita on my list so I'm putting it at number 3 too.

Howard said...

I've only read five of these, and most of them as a teenager; some for school courses.

I saw your reply to my message on Tip the Wink, fooled around with some Google stuff, now trying once again to post here. Geronimo!

Howard said...

Yee hah, it worked! I was also able to post over at Every Goddamned Day.

What I did, was simply to log out of Google and log back in again. At this point I'm not sure whether it would be best to log out after every post or just hold my horses until such time as this inability to post happens again.

TracyK said...

I wish I could remember what I read before I was 25, Patti. I did read some Margaret Millar, because I distinctly remember how one of them scared. And I did read a lot. Rex Stout for sure, and some Agatha Christie

TracyK said...

I remember your comments on IN A LONELY PLACE, Patti. I hope to read it in 2020.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Cath. I do look forward to reading all of these eventually. My son has been encouraging me to read Foundation for years.

TracyK said...

Me, too, Margot. All of these are enticing so I will read more of them later in 2020 also.

TracyK said...

Now that would be cool, if we were both reading The Master and Margarita. I have to admit I am intimidated by reading #17, Much Ado About Nothing. But I think it is a good starting place for me to read Shakespeare.

TracyK said...

Howard, I am so glad you were able to comment here. And I appreciate you sharing your technique. I don't remember much of what I read when I was younger, even though I was an avid reader.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

We have one in common. But, because yours and mine are different numbers, we won't both be reading the same book. In any case, I hope you will spin twelve for Wrinkle in Time.

reese said...

I think there's a bunch of fun things on this list! I love Bleak House, but it is long. Much Ado About Nothing is a great Shakespeare & it has two good recent movie versions (Kenneth Branagh & Joss Whedon). Good luck!

TracyK said...

Thanks, Deb, Wrinkle in Time would be a good one to read soon. I don't know why it has taken me this long to get to it.

TracyK said...

Reese, I mainly have Bleak House on my Classics List because my husband likes it a lots, but now that I have gotten used to the idea, I am looking forward to reading it. I did pick Much Ado about Nothing because I had seen both versions of the play that you mentioned, and I think that will help with the reading. Whatever comes up on the spin, I think I will be glad.

col2910 said...

Nice list Tracy. I think I can match up with nearly half of it. I've read four and have five on the pile.

TracyK said...

I am definitely reading #5, The Sign of the Four, sometime in 2020. The number picked was #13, so I will be reading A Kiss Before Dying (1953) by Ira Levin in January. Ira Levin is well-known for some horror novels and suspenseful stories, so I have not tried any of his books yet. It will be interesting.