Sunday, September 27, 2020

The Rose Garden in Santa Barbara's Mission Park

In late June of this year, we visited the Rose Garden in Mission Park, which is across from the Santa Barbara Mission. And took lots of photographs. It was a lovely overcast day, and we had a great time taking pictures and enjoying the roses.

This was only three months into the pandemic, and we were a little worried about whether there would be lots of people there. It was actually pretty deserted. The only people we saw were one woman caring for the roses (a volunteer) and joggers running through the area. And some sort of small gathering on the steps of the Mission, but we were too far away to tell what it was.

Here we are at the entrance to the rose garden, with a lovely fountain. Walking into the garden area you can see the Mission in the distance.







Here you can see the neighborhood behind the Rose Garden. How lovely to be able to walk to the garden anytime and around in Mission Park.

And now some of our photos of roses.










This yellow rose, labeled the Julia Child rose, was my favorite. It is known in the UK as the Absolutely Fabulous rose. 






16 comments:

Bill Selnes said...

If I get to California I am going to visit the garden. What a beautiful spot.

Rick Robinson said...

How wonderful!

I’ve been to all but one of the Missions, in this one, and really enjoy them and their surrounds. I’ve visited this rose garden too, but a little later in the year, I think. Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures.

TracyK said...

This is a wonderful area, Bill. Down the road a bit is Rocky Nook Park, which we visited just about a month ago. And close to that is the Natural History Museum with wonderful grounds too. We use to live in the area. Very lovely but warmer than the area we are in, closer to the ocean.

TracyK said...

Rick, I would love to visit more of the Missions myself, and I look forward to when this one will be open to the public again. It had been a while since we had enjoyed the Rose Garden, so it was a good excursion.

Cath said...

Gorgeous, Tracy! It's somewhere I will probably never get to go so it's so nice to see your pics. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Kay said...

What lovely pictures! Reminds me of the rose garden in Portland. I love walking there and taking pictures of the variety of flowers. Thanks for sharing these!

TracyK said...

I am glad you enjoyed the photos, Cath. I have never attempted to grow roses and they are beautiful, so it is nice to find a place to enjoy them.

TracyK said...

Kay, I would love to visit botanical gardens in other cities, except that I don't really like traveling.

Margot Kinberg said...

What a beautiful place, Tracy! Some of those old missions are just gorgeous, and the rose garden is lovely, too, and I'll bet it's very peaceful. Thanks for sharing.

TracyK said...

Margot, you are right, it was very peaceful. I love all of the area around the Mission. I don't know if that is because we lived near there when we first moved to SB, or that we have visited so often over the years.

Katrina said...

What a great place, the roses are so beautiful. Yellow roses have always been my favourites. I love it that you say it was a lovely overcast day, as I so often say 'it was a lovely blue sky day'. Maybe I should learn to appreciate our very many Scottish overcast days!

TracyK said...

Katrina, we would love your overcast days in Scotland. We like them anyway, too much sun affects both Glen and I adversely, but we also find it is better for photography.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Would love to think I will get there someday. That apricot rose is exquisite especially.

TracyK said...

Santa Barbara is a lovely city to visit or live in, Patti. Since we often have our cameras when we go out to various spots in the area, even just downtown, people assume we are tourists.

col2910 said...

Lovely photos, Tracy. Thanks for sharing

TracyK said...

Thanks, Col. I am hoping Glen and I will go on many more photo excursions once he retires.