Thursday, October 29, 2020

City of the Lost: Kelley Armstrong

I was drawn to this book for several reasons. It is set in a very cold, very isolated area and I like that kind of story. The author is Canadian, and I am always interested in books set in Canada. And it was recommended by Cath at Read-Warbler and Kay at Kay's Reading Life

I liked the premise. Casey, a talented policewoman, has a secret in her past and is afraid it will be revealed. She doesn't really want to run away, but her friend Diana has an abusive ex-husband who won't leave her alone, and Diana finds a place that will take them both in. It is a small town in the Yukon wilderness, so isolated that most modern conveniences are lacking. A town council has to approve new inhabitants, and Casey and Diana are accepted.

I loved reading about how the town existed with no internet, cell phones, or email, and with limited access to food. All travel is by horse or all-terrain vehicles. No cars. There is a hierarchy within the town determined by what each person contributes in their job, and how useful it is to the town.

The story was dark, gritty, and violent, but not to an extreme that bothered me. Casey is able to work with the sheriff of the town, as a detective, which gives her some perks that others don't have. The town has had its first murder before she arrived, which is one reason she was allowed in. 

The best aspects of the story are a strong female lead character, a fast-moving plot, and convincing characterizations. The story is told in present tense, but I don't remember that being a problem for me this time. I will be continuing this series, which at this point has four additional books. This is the only book I have read by this author, but she is also well-known for her books in the urban fantasy genre. 



 -----------------------------

Publisher:   Minotaur Books, 2017 (orig. publ. 2016).
Length:      403 pages
Format:      Trade Paper
Series:       Rockton, #1
Setting:      Yukon,  Canada
Genre:        Police Procedural
Source:      Purchased in 2019.

18 comments:

Bill Selnes said...

I tried to read this book a few times but could not get past my disbelief over the setting of a virtually invisible town. Wilderness or not the town would be well known. Had it been a form of fantasy I might have been less distracted. As far as I can tell I am in a small minority of readers to be disturbed by the setting.

TracyK said...

Bill, thanks for commenting. I will admit that there were parts of the story that I had to suspend disbelief about, but that was not one of the things. I guess I just accepted that such a setting could exist, and of course I don't know Canada as well as you do.

Cath said...

I don't know Canada so didn't have any problem with the invisible town but I suppose these days with Google maps and so forth the likelihood of a lost town is a bit remote but that's fine... I'm very gullible. LOL! I must get back to this series. Really pleased you enjoyed this one.

Kay said...

I had read other books by this author so I think I wasn't as bothered by the 'reality or not' aspect of the series. It's interesting to me that this one is more 'real' than her books that have the fantasy aspects. Anyway, I'm caught up on the series and I really like it. Can't wait for #6 that comes out in February I think.

Margot Kinberg said...

I can see how a setting like that would add to the suspense and atmosphere, Tracy, although I'm not sure about how likely it is that a town would have no ways access modern technology. And I do like strong characters That theme of secrets from the past is appealing, too. Glad you enjoyed it.

Rick Robinson said...

First person, or first person present tense? The latter, for me, is unreadable. As you know, I'm not a fan of "dark, gritty, and violent", so this will be a skip for me. Nice review.

TracyK said...

Cath, I did enjoy the book a lot and immediately bought the next book once I had read it. I hope the series continues to be as good.

TracyK said...

Kay, I thought I might be interested in some of her fantasy series, but I decided that they were not my type of thing. (And I don't need to add even more series right now.) I do like the way the author writes.

TracyK said...

Margot, I really did like the setting, even though you would never find me there. But that is the fun of reading. I think the lack of access to internet and email is addressed but can't remember any details. The closed setting was also appealing.

TracyK said...

Rick, it is first person present tense. This isn't a book you would like anyway, though, as you say. I had forgotten it was written in present tense until I reread few pages.

CLM said...

I put this on my TBR when Cath mentioned it. I think I can have suspension of disbelief about an invisible town - after all, no one can ever find Three Pines unless they've been there before!

I really don't like books in the present tense but occasionally a skillful author distracts me enough that I enjoy the book anyway.

TracyK said...

Constance, that is a very good way to put it. I would not choose to read a book in present tense, but if the author pulls me into the story, I don't notice it so much.

Christine said...

This does sound interesting, Tracy, and I have ordered a copy.

TracyK said...

I am glad to hear that, Christine, and I hope you enjoy it.

Clothes in Books said...

That is a very intriguing set up, I am very tempted. I was amused by Bill's firm line on that though, in the first comment!

TracyK said...

Moira, in many ways the Rockton series has to be read sort of like a fantasy, just in accepting that the situation as it is. As you can see, I enjoyed doing that.

col2910 said...

Sounds quite intriguing actually, and despite noting Bill's remarks, I think I might enjoy this one. Another one onto the list.

TracyK said...

I now have two more in this series to read, Col, so I am really hoping I continue to like it.