Thursday, January 21, 2021

Black Robe: Brian Moore

Description on the back of the book:

His name is Father Laforgue, a young Jesuit missionary come from Europe to the New World to bring the word of God to the heathen. He is given minimal aid by the governor of the vast territory that is proudly named New France but is in reality still ruled by the Huron, Iroquois, and Algonkin tribes who have roamed it since the dawn of time and whom the French call Savages. His mission is to reach and bring salvation to an isolated Huron tribe decimated by disease in the far north before incoming winter closes off his path to them. His guides are a group of Savages who mock his faith and their pledges even as they accept muskets as their payment.


Quote from the Author's Note preceding the text of Black Robe... 

In the early part of the seventeenth century the native people of Canada were not known to the French as “Indians,” but by the names of their tribal confederacies, and were referred to collectively as "Les Sauvages" (the Savages). The natives, for their part, spoke of the French as “Normans” and of the Jesuit fathers as “Blackrobes.” As for the obscene language used by the natives at that time it was a form of rough banter and was not intended to give offense.

Throughout the book this terminology is used, and there is much rude language used by the Algonkins and the Iriquois. Brian Moore's source data for this novel was Relations, letters from Jesuits in New France sent back to their superiors in France.

This book is set in the 1600s in what is now Canada. Some members of the Algonkin tribe have contracted (informally) with Champlain, the leader of the settlement, to deliver Father Laforgue and his companion Daniel (a younger man, also from France) to their destination. The guides and the two Frenchmen making this journey travel in two canoes that also contain supplies. The Algonkins travel in family groups, men with their wives and children of all ages.

Along the way they have many problems: bad weather, not enough food, the mutual distrust between the priest and the Algonkins, and much worse along the way. Daniel is in love with the daughter of one of the Algonkin leaders. Algonkin females in their teens are promiscuous, having sex with any males they desire, but when they marry, they are treated by their husbands as slaves. It appears in this group that the men value their wives, but they keep it to themselves.


This was a challenging read for me. Eventually some of the Algonkins and the two French men are captured by members of the Iriquois tribe. The violence and torture (and more) in this book was disturbing. But it is also a compelling story, thrilling and very well-written.

Moore does an amazing job of portraying the points of view and beliefs of the Savages and Father Laforgue without being judgmental of either one. They have different spiritual beliefs and the priest wants the Savages to be baptized to save their souls. I found myself more sympathetic to the beliefs of the Savages, at times. Clearly, religion, the differences in belief systems, and the clash of different cultures is a theme in this book. 


 -----------------------------

Publisher:  Plume Books, 1997 (orig. pub. 1985)
Length:      246 pages
Format:     Trade Paperback
Setting:      New France in North America, 1600s
Genre:       Historical Fiction
Source:      Purchased in November 2020.


16 comments:

Cath said...

My library catalogue has a copy of this so as soon as lockdown eases I'll be reserving a copy. It sounds pretty hard hitting but as long as I'm ready for it that'll be fine.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My favorite of his is The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne-also a great movie with Maggie Smith.

Margot Kinberg said...

It sounds as though there's a real sense of time and place here, Tracy, and I always appreciate that. I think I'd have to wait for a time when I'm ready for the more unpleasant parts of the story, though.

TracyK said...

Cath, this was more disturbing than I expected, but well worth reading. The writing is good and I got a sense of what life was like at the time.

TracyK said...

Patti, I am planning on reading The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne later in the year. And maybe I will find another Brian Moore to read before the end of the year.

TracyK said...

Margot, some of the story is very unpleasant, but overall it is a very good read and rewarding.

Rick Robinson said...

Not something I’d ever be interested in reading, not an author, either. I like historical fiction, but this wouldn’t work at all.how brave of you to read it.

TracyK said...

Rick, if I had known how violent this was I might not have read it. But now I am glad that I did. I read it because we wanted to watch the film adaptation and I have been interested in the author for a while. I will definitely try more of his books; I think most of them are different than this one.

Bill Selnes said...

TracyK: I have long known of the book but never read it. I know the history of the Jesuit missionaries and chose not to read the book knowing there would be heavy doses of violence and torture. Many years ago I visited the Martyrs Shrine at Midland, Ontario dedicated to the memory of those Jesuit priests.

TracyK said...

Bill, I can understand why you would avoid the book if you knew about such events in history. Even though I was surprised and horrified, it wasn't too bad and I learned a lot, so it was worth reading for me.

Lex @ Lexlingua said...

I haven't come across too many books about Canada's history, or even books set in Canada for that part. And I do like reading about indigenous groups -- just that I'm wary about their portrayal from a one-sided lens. Good to know that Moore gives it a more balanced perspective. Think will add this to my TBR, thanks!

~ Lex (lexlingua.co)

TracyK said...

I will be reading more books by Moore, Lex. I think each of his books is different.

Clothes in Books said...

This description reminds me of the film The Mission, with Robert de Niro, have you seen that, I'd be interested in your opinion...

TracyK said...

Moira, The Mission is new to me, but I checked with Glen and he had heard of it... it won an Oscar for cinematography. If I can find a way to watch it I will give it a try. I can see the similarities between The Mission and Black Robe.

col2910 said...

Rather you than me I think.

TracyK said...

Col, this was probably not the best book for me to read as my first book by Brian Moore, but I am still glad I read it. Learned a lot about the early settlement of Canada.