Monday, April 12, 2021

Classics Club Spin #26

One of the events offered by The Classics Club is The Classics Club Spin. Spin #26 has just been announced. Members who participate list twenty books from their classics list that they have not read. As usual, my list is mostly the same as the one I used for the previous spin. 

On  Sunday 18th April, 2021, the Classics Club will post a number from 1 through 20. The goal is to read, review and post about whatever book falls under that number on my Spin List by 31st May, 2021.

So, here is my list of 20 books for the spin.


  1. Things Fall Apart (1958) by Chinua Achebe   [209 pages]
  2. Jane Eyre (1847) by Charlotte Bronte   [452 pages]
  3. Rebecca (1938) by Daphne du Maurier  [410 pages]
  4. The Sign of Four (1890) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 
  5. Their Eyes Were Watching God (1937) by Zora Neale Hurston 
  6. The Quiet American (1958) by Graham Greene   [180 pages]
  7. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1940) by Carson McCullers
  8. Foundation (1951) by Isaac Asimov  
  9. A Wrinkle in Time (1962) by Madeleine L'Engle
  10. Beast In View (1955) by Margaret Millar
  11. The Pursuit of Love (1945) by Nancy Mitford
  12. The Moviegoer (1961) by Walker Percy   [200 pages]
  13. Much Ado About Nothing (1598) by William Shakespeare
  14. My Ántonia (1918) by Willa Cather
  15. Sense and Sensibility (1811) by Jane Austen   
  16. Dracula (1897) by Bram Stoker    [420 pages]
  17. The Wind in the Willows (1908) by Kenneth Grahame 
  18. The Postman Always Rings Twice (1934) by James Cain
  19. The Invisible Man (1897) by H.G. Wells
  20. We Have Always Lived in the Castle (1962) by Shirley Jackson



20 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

I’ve read just half of them, want to read a few others, but not all. It will be fascinating to see which you pick.

TracyK said...

Rick, I have to admit that I hope that the one picked is a shorter book, because I am planning to start a very long book at the beginning of May. But, whichever one it is, I am sure reading it will be a good experience.

Cath said...

I've only read seven. The one I would love to read on your list is Foundation and one of these days I 'will' get around to it. And Grahame Green is another author I must get to but am a bit obsessed with Patrick O'Brian at the moment. LOL

TracyK said...

Cath, either of the books you mentioned would be good picks for me to read. I can understand your obsession with Patrick O'Brian, I am in the middle of Post Captain right now and enjoying it very much.

Margot Kinberg said...

I really like the variety in the books you've chosen, Neeru. I wonder what you will think of We Have Always Lived in the Castle if that's the one you end up reading. I found it quite psychologically suspenseful - even eerie. And I know my husband would be glad to see you read Foundations; he's a big Asimov van. Whichever one you get, I hope you enjoy it.

Sam said...

I think this is a great idea, and I like the relative randomness of the final choice. I don't seem to make time for the true classics much anymore despite my good intentions, so something like this could be a nice kickstart.

TracyK said...

Margot, I am always wary of psychologically suspense but I look forward to experiencing We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Also Foundation would be a good one. That is why I like this... I don't have to make the choice.

TracyK said...

Sam, that is exactly why I joined the Classics Club. Mystery fiction is my first love, including vintage mysteries, but I want to add some variety and experience other older fiction. I was overly ambitious, my list is too long, but I have enjoyed some really good books so far.

Rick Robinson said...

I asked or said this last year, but... if Foundation is picked, you’d just read that book, not the trilogy (FOUNDATION, FOUNDATION AND EMPIRE, SECOND FOUNDATION)? That would somehow seem...incomplete.

TracyK said...

Rick, if FOUNDATION was picked, I would read that book now, but would hope to read the next two books in the following months. That is assuming, of course, that I will enjoy FOUNDATION, but I think I will. My son has all the books although they are in an omnibus edition and I don't like to read big heavy, books like that.

I intended to read FOUNDATION last year, but that year was a mess reading-wise and I didn't always follow up on my intentions. So, ideally, I will read FOUNDATION this year, whether or not it gets picked for the Spin.

Katrina said...

I like your list. I've read numbers 2,3,6,11,13,14,15,16,17,19 and 20. I love Sense and Sensibility and Rebecca but I enjoyed all the ones that I've read.

TracyK said...

Katrina, Much Ado About Nothing would the hardest one for me. Other than that any of them would be fine, but Sense and Sensibility and Rebecca are both books I am eager to read.

Neeru said...

You have some fine reading ahead of you, Tracy. I have read nine of the 20 and except for Jane Eyre enjoyed all the rest. Much Ado is a very fine play which I enjoyed immensely. I hope you do so too.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have read 14 of them. These books are among my favorites.

TracyK said...

Neeru, I do expect to enjoy Much Ado about Nothing, but understanding the writing style will be difficult for me, I think. I have seen several film adaptations of the play which could help.

TracyK said...

Patti, all of the books on this list appeal in different ways, so no matter what is picked, I will enjoy it, I hope.

Mary R. said...

You have some wonderful books on this list! I enjoyed 3, 9, 12, and 14-16.

TracyK said...

I would be happy with any of those choices that you have read, Mary. Even the longer ones. A shorter one would fit in better with my reading plans though.

col2910 said...

I picked up a copy of the McCullers book a few months ago. I shall have to give it a try.

TracyK said...

Me too, Col. Glen told me it is set in a boarding house and I like that kind of setting.

The pick was #11, The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford. I have already read and enjoyed more than I thought I would.