Wednesday, June 29, 2022

The Assault: Harry Mulisch

The Assault by Harry Mulisch was a great read, brief and straightforward, and very effective. Set in the Netherlands, it starts with a horrendous event during World War II.

Near the end of the war, when many countries in Europe had been liberated, the Netherlands was still occupied. A policeman in the city of Haarlem, who was collaborating with the Germans, was shot down in a small neighborhood. Reprisals are taken and many people are killed, including children. This novel takes that one event and shows how it affected the people who were involved.  It continues up to 1980. 


The focus of the novel is on Anton Steenwijk, who is only 12 years old when the event happens. It follows him through important times in his life, each of which trigger memories and emotions in him.

The story is based on a real event that happened during the war, although I have no idea how closely it follows the actual event.

This historical novel about World War II was very different from others I have read. I found the writing style mesmerizing. Along the way there are revelations and surprises both for Anton and the reader. I especially like that the story focuses on a child and how he carries the trauma of the war with him throughout his life. 


This book was recommended to me by Patricia Abbott at Pattinase. Also see Sam Sattler's review at Book Chase.


 -----------------------------

Publisher:   Pantheon, 2016 (orig. pub. 1982)
Translated from the Dutch by Claire Nicolas White
Length:       185 pages
Format:       Trade Paperback
Setting:       Netherlands, World War II
Genre:        Historical Fiction
Source:       A recent purchase.

16 comments:

Cath said...

Sounds fascinating, I love these books that trace people's lives after a traumatic event and show how nothing is ever quite the same again.

TracyK said...

Cath, it was a very good book. I did not know much about the Netherlands during World War II, so that part was interesting too. Although the focus was on the end of the war there.

pattinase (abbott) said...

As I may have said, we were there on a Fulbright in 1997 and people would tell us, he sat in this one cafe often and would be open to signing his book. Glad to in fact. But we never ran into him. He was a celebrity in Amsterdam. Haarlem is the next town over and so charming. But then all Dutch towns are. Although even the smallest and most charming towns have a red light district. So strange.

Lark said...

Sounds good, but also a bit heartbreaking. I've been to the Netherlands, and to Haarlem, so the setting also intrigues me. :)

Margot Kinberg said...

What an interesting perspective on those events, Tracy. And I'm not surprised at all that the impact of what happened would last for a very long time. Such a terrible event, too...

TracyK said...

Patti, I checked out the city of Haarlem online when I was writing the review, and the pictures were very charming. Wish I could visit sometime... but I don't plan to fly, so will just have to read about it,

TracyK said...

Lark, the story does leave you with a feeling for all the pain that was suffered during World War II in situations like that, but the story is not overly emotional. Lucky you to have visited the Netherlands.

TracyK said...

Margot, I really liked the approach of this historical fiction novel. And it really got across conflicting emotions and the various ways people handle trauma.

Marty said...

There was an award-winning Dutch movie made of this book in 1986.

TracyK said...

Marty, thanks for mentioning that. I did not know about the film when I wrote the post, but I mentioned the book at another blog, and several commenters mentioned the movie. We all looked into its availability but no one could find a copy or anywhere that streams it.

If I were able to locate the film, I would love to watch it someday.

CLM said...

The three of you have done a great job capturing this book in reviews, although I think one would have to be in the right frame of mind to read it.

Like you, I don't know much Dutch history (except William and Mary) so this is intriguing for that reason too.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Constance. It is the kind of story where you need to lay down the premise, but you don't want to spoil the story for other readers. I think it depends on the reader as to what kind of emotional impact it has. The story is sad but it is not the type that emphasizes that aspect.

col2910 said...

Sounds quite good. I haven't heard of it before.

TracyK said...

Col, it is very good and I was glad I read it. I had not heard of the book or the author before Patti recommended it

Judith said...

Hi Tracy,
I'm very interested in this one. I'll see if I can find it in our library system, or online. Thanks so much for reporting on it!

TracyK said...

Judith, I hope you can find a copy, I am sure you will like it.