Sunday, August 21, 2022

The Burglar in the Closet: Lawrence Block

The Bernie Rhodenbarr series by Lawrence Block now consists of 11 books. The series started in 1977, although the first book, Burglars Can't Be Choosers, was not intended to be the start of a series. The most recent novel was published in 2013. I read some of these books many years ago; they would have been from the first five books which were published between 1977 and 1983.

The Burglar in the Closet is the second book in the series. Bernie lives in New York City and supports himself by burgling apartments. In this book Bernie is working for his dentist, who wants to get back at his ex-wife. Once in the apartment, Bernie has to duck into the closet when the dentist's ex-wife's comes home earlier than expected. And then she is murdered. Out of desperation, to save his own neck, Bernie ends up solving the case. 


The books are humorous and I enjoy Lawrence Block's writing, but this is a series that I find most appealing for the characters. Bernie is proud and confident of his ability's as a burglar. He doesn't always get away with it and he has been in prison for brief stays. Bernie tells his story in first person, and he is a very likable character. Not only is he charming, but he runs into many interesting people as he endeavors to prove that he is not a murderer. 

Block excels at fleshing out characters in small roles. Early in the book Bernie has an entertaining conversation with an elderly lady in the garden of a very exclusive building; that comes back to haunt him later in the book. Later he calls a lady in his building to check out whether the police have visited his apartment. She knows he is a burglar but thinks that is fine, as long as he keeps his burgling outside of the building. 

I also enjoyed this story for the picture of New York in the 1970s. I want to read the next book in the series soon because Bernie is a used book store owner in that book. Later books were published in the 1990s and two after 2000, and I would like to check those out also to see how Bernie has changed over time.


Lawrence Block has written another book in this series which is scheduled to be published in October 2022. In that book, The Burglar Who Met Fredric Brown, he will deal with the realities of new technology such as security cameras and closed-circuit TV and locks that are truly pickproof.  



 -----------------------------

Publisher:  HarperTorch, 2006. Orig. pub. 1978.
Length:      320 pages
Format:      Paperback
Series:       Bernie Rhodenbarr, #2
Setting:      New York City
Genre:       Mystery
Source:     I purchased my copy. 

14 comments:

dfordoom said...

I've only read very very early Lawrence Block, such as Borderline (from 1962). Which is very dark and very nihilistic. Very very noir. I guess I should check out some of his later stuff.

TracyK said...

dfordoom, I have only sampled from several of Block's series and read some short stories, but some are humorous, like this one, and some are much darker. I want to read more of his Matthew Scudder series, which is the darker series.

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, I've always thought Block wrote some great characters, Tracy. He knows how to give them depth and nuances without wasting (if that's the right word) a lot of words. And I do like the wit in the Rhodenbarr novels. Funny how Bernie is quite different to Block's Matthew Scudder, whom I also like as a character. Just shows you how talented Block is, that he can create such different characters and stories...

TracyK said...

Agreed, Margot. Block writes well, keeps me turning the pages, and has great characters. Another character I like is Keller, but after reading two books of stories about a hit man, I did not like them as well. Maybe if I try them in small doses.

Lark said...

Appealing characters and humor do make this one sound really good. :)

Cath said...

I have the first book in this series but haven't read it yet. I've put it on my list for the autumn. I've only read a couple of short stories by Block which I thought were beautifully written.

TracyK said...

Lark, Bernie is so fun to read about that I forget that he is breaking the law.

TracyK said...

Cath, I hope you like that first book in the series when you read it. Block has written so many books and a lot of short stories too. Just amazing.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Tracy, I think Lawrence Block is so talented but I have confined myself to the Matthew Scudder series because Bernie's profession bothers me a bit even though I sense he is otherwise a good man. I've also never read the series Block has written about a hit man. That would not be for me but maybe I should give Bernie a try.

TracyK said...

Kathy, I really do need to concentrate on the Matthew Scudder series. I have most of the books up through A Dance at the Slaughterhouse.

I am not thrilled with Bernie being a burglar, and he is unrepentant, but the books really are good reads. At least the first two. As for the books about the hit man (The Keller Series), those are mostly short stories, connected stories in several books, but his occupation is very off-putting.

CLM said...

I've never got into this series (although I wanted to because of the used books) but my friend and coworker Joe was Block's editor when I worked at NAL/Signet/Penguin. Now that Joe is writing mysteries himself, under the pen name Adam Carpenter, I suspect Block is a big influence. https://outinjersey.net/a-joe-of-all-trades-in-publishing/

TracyK said...

That link was very interesting, Constance. Your friend has written a lot of books, all different types. And to have worked as an editor for Lawrence Block; he would be a good influence.

In the first two books in the series Bernie doesn't have the bookstore yet. I do hope I can get to the third book soonish; at that point he does own the bookstore. My paperback copies have VERY tiny print; if I cannot get a better copy at the book sale next month, I am going to get an e-book edition.

col2910 said...

I'm banging through this series at the minute. I like the character and enjoy his escapades. It's a really enjoyable series. I admire Bernie's talents and love the 'good guy for a bad guy' personality.

TracyK said...

Col, I am looking forward to when he gets the used book store. I will find a copy of the next in the series soon.