Sunday, November 27, 2022

The Maid: Nita Prose

 

Excerpts from the dust jacket of my copy:

Molly Gray is not like everyone else. She struggles with social skills and misreads the intentions of others. Her gran used to interpret the world for her, codifying it into simple rules that Molly could live by.

Since Gran died a few months ago, twenty-five-year-old Molly has been navigating life’s complexities all by herself. No matter—she throws herself with gusto into her work as a hotel maid. 

...

But Molly’s orderly life is upended the day she enters the suite of the infamous and wealthy Charles Black, only to find it in a state of disarray and Mr. Black himself dead in his bed. 

 


Molly Gray tells the story from her point of view. We can tell from her narration that she doesn't see life like the average person. She loves her work. Because she lacks in social skills and misinterprets some actions of those she works with, she is sometimes shunned or ridiculed. Others see her basic kindness and like working with her. And some people she knows use her. It took a while for me to pick up on these things, because Molly is pretty optimistic about life and sees the best in most people. She knows that not everyone accepts her as she is, but she has learned to live with it.

It gradually becomes apparent that many things Molly has done to "help" people have gotten her involved in some illegal activities, which complicates the situation when Charles Black is killed and Molly seems to be involved. She had become friends with his much younger wife, and often spent time talking to her, which also implicates her.


My Thoughts

I liked the setting in a hotel, and I had been wanting to read more books with protagonists that did not fit in, like Convenience Store Woman and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. All three books are very different, and the protagonists are too, and I liked all three of them.

Another fun element of the novel was that Molly and her grandmother watched Columbo (TV series with Peter Falk) together and had watched the episodes over and over. Thus Molly compares this case and what is happening to her with various Columbo episodes. That resonated for me because I am a big fan of that show too.

The book was very suspenseful, even though the plot is basically uncomplicated. I liked the ending; I found it satisfying. However there are a lot of readers who have had the opposite reaction, so I hesitate to recommend it.


Nita Prose is a Canadian author. Although the setting of this book is not clear, I am assuming it is set in a large hotel in a large city in Canada. 

Please see Constance's review of The Maid at Staircase Wit.


 -----------------------------

Publisher:  Ballantine Books, 2022.
Length:     304 pages
Format:     Hardcover
Setting:     Canada
Genre:      Mystery
Source:    I purchased this book.

20 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

It sounds good to me. I will pick it up at the library. Have you read THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHTTIME? About a boy with autism. Also a MAN CALLED OLAF, which is being made a second time with Tom Hanks.(A MAN CALLED OTTO). Autism is practically its own genre now.

Cath said...

This is one I will definitely pick up at some stage, in the library perhaps. Like pattinase I would recommend The Dog in the Nighttime but suspect you've already read it.

Kay said...

I have been curious about this one, but I haven't read it as yet. Interesting that it worked for some and not for others. Keeping it on my list.

Margot Kinberg said...

This does sound like an interesting read, Tracy. I've been hearing both raves and rants about it, and that makes the whole thing all the more interesting. I do like the premise, so I'll probably read it at some point. I'm glad you found things to like about it.

TracyK said...

Patti, getting a copy of THE MAID from the library is a good way to go. If you don't like it, you can just send it back. As Margot says below, reviews are mixed between rants and raves.

I do have a copy of DOG IN THE NIGHTTIME and I haven't read it yet. You are right, it would fit perfectly with the other books.

TracyK said...

Cath, I hope you like The Maid when you try it.

I do have a copy of Dog in the Nighttime but I have not read it yet. It is stored away but I think I can find it easily. It will be interesting to see another look at autism in a mystery.

TracyK said...

Kay, I had the same reaction to The Maid. I was very interested, but it was impossible to tell whether I would like it or not, and it just came out this year. I hardly ever read anything that soon after publication. Luckily I had a very positive reaction. I won't say that I had no quibbles with the story, but nothing serious.

I hope things are going well with the work on your house.

TracyK said...

Margot, I think I liked the book so much because I liked the character, and a lot of the characters that rallied around her when she was in trouble. So in the end it was more about the characters than the mystery for me. The twist at the end worked for me but there were other readers who objected to it.

Lark said...

I really liked this book. Molly's social awkwardness and how she'd mistake people's intentions made me feel for her. And I so loved the ending! :D

TracyK said...

Me too, Lark. I liked Molly, I wanted her to have friend. And the ending was very good. The ending makes a big difference to me in any book.

neer said...

Tracy, I have this on the kindle somewhere. I have heard only good things about it. Perhaps one of these days, I will read it.

TracyK said...

Neer, I hope you enjoy this when you get to it. I found it a pleasure to read and it was an interesting mystery, although that was less important to me in this case.

Judith said...

Hi Tracy,
Interesting to note that The Maid was selected among the top books of 2022 by several big newspapers--I think The Washington Post selected it. Anyway, I've seen it in a number of "Best" lists for the year.

TracyK said...

Judith, I am glad to hear that The Maid has been on some Best lists for the year. Very good news for the author, I am sure.

CLM said...

Glad you enjoyed this and thanks for linking my review. I don't know why I assumed this was set in NYC. You are right that it is probably intentionally left vague and more likely a Canadian city, given the author is Canadian.

TracyK said...

Actually, Constance, I was thinking that New York was the setting the whole time I was reading the book, even knowing that the author was Canadian. It wasn't until I was done with the book and reading more about it that I saw others saying that it must be set in Canada. But I am really fine with a setting left vague, and the hotel setting was very good, no matter where it was.

Sam said...

I liked a lot of things about this one, especially the inside look at the workings of a large hotel and the main character, but I sometimes found myself thinking that "the maid" had broken character a little bit in some of her comments about what she was seeing and thinking about it. The ending kind of disappointed me only because I saw it coming. It is very readable, though, and I think the author has a lot of promise. I hope all the hype and success associated with The Maid doesn't put too much pressure on her. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next from her.

TracyK said...

Sam, Every time I read a book set in a hotel, I want to read more books in that setting, and I do have quite a few. Mostly mysteries but not all of them.

I agree, there are a few times that Molly does seem to make comments that are out of character, but there were not enough to bother me. I also wondered if so much success in her first novel would be daunting for the author, and I wish her luck in her future writing. I like to read books by Canadian authors.

CLM said...

I am off to Alabama in the morning, then Hattiesburg on Thursday! Lots of driving - I hope all goes well.

TracyK said...

Constance, I hope your trip is fun and eventful, but only in the best ways! Drive carefully and I want to hear all about your trip.