Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Short Story Wednesday: More from Mistletoe Mysteries

 



I purchased this book in 2014 after reading a post at GeorgeKelley.org. I read a few stories at that time, then just two years ago I featured the book on my blog, having read 6 more stories in the book. 

Today I feature three more stories from this book. I still haven't read all the stories in this book, but I hope to finish the last three by the end of 2022.


"Dutch Uncle" by Aaron Elkins

Per Charlotte MacLeod's introduction, this was the first short story Aaron Elkins wrote. At the time he had published a few mystery novels, but no short stories. [He has now published 18 novels in the Gideon Oliver series, two other shorter series, and four standalone novels.]

This story is about a lawyer who is hired by a client to help him purchase a piece of art for his wife's Christmas present -- at the last minute. It takes place on Christmas Eve in the late afternoon and that is the last thing he wants to be doing on Christmas Eve.  On top of that the client is extremely obnoxious. The two men find only one art gallery open at that time. With great difficulty they decide upon a painting to purchase, and return home on the ferry. There are two or three (maybe even four) twists before the end of the story and I liked them all.


"The Man Who Loved Christmas" by Henry Slesar

A police office in a small suburb of Dayton is called into work on Christmas morning. He is unhappy about this because his wife is very pregnant with their first child and could have the baby at any time. The case is the disappearance of a man whose wife reported him missing; he wasn't in bed when she woke up and she could not locate him anywhere. The missing man has two children and Christmas is very important to him, so the wife insists he has not just abandoned his family. 

This is another story with unexpected twists, but the results are more serious in this one.


"The Touch of Kolyada" by Edward D. Hoch

This is a Simon Ark story by Hoch, written especially for this anthology. Simon Ark is a mysterious man who claims to be 2000 years old, a Coptic priest hunting down evil. His tales are told by a friend who has known him for many years. His friend doesn't really believe his claims but he does notice that he hasn't aged in the time he has known him. I haven't read any Simon Ark stories yet but I do have a fairly recent collection of those stories from Crippen & Landru on my shelves. 

In this story, Simon Ark encounters a figure from Russian folklore, the elf maiden Kolyada, who distributes gifts to children at Christmas, similar to Santa Claus in western countries. It is an entertaining story, not very complex, and I like the way the narrator tells the story.


13 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I've read some of Hoch's stories and liked them, Tracy, but not this one. It sounds good, though. And I didn't know that Elkins wrote short stories as well as novels. I very much like his writing, so I would definitely want to check that story out. It sounds like a very good collection overall.

Todd Mason said...

As I suspect I mentioned in your last review from the antho, my reading of this one is running even more slowly than yours, having picked up a copy shortly after publication and still needing to (after relocating it!) read even such favorites as Hoch and Slesar's contributions.

Glad you're enjoying it and your dogged progress with it!

TracyK said...

Margot, I was especially happy with the story by Elkins because it dealt with art, and I have enjoyed some of his standalone mystery novels with that theme.

Cath said...

I'll be looking up the Simon Ark books as that kind of thing really appeals to me!

TracyK said...

Todd, I do remember you saying that, but it was not at my post, so maybe it was at George's more recent post on this anthology. These stories I read most recently were very enjoyable, so I encourage you to read some more from Mistletoe Murders.

TracyK said...

Cath, I am sure that you would like the Simon Ark stories. I need to pull out the one anthology that I have and start reading those stories.

George said...

Tracy, thanks for mentioning my blog! I really enjoyed this anthology!

George said...

Tracy, here's the link for any of your readers who are interested in my review of this book: http://georgekelley.org/wednesdays-short-stories-101-misiltoe-mysteries-edited-by-charlotte-macleod/

TracyK said...

George, this is a very good anthology. I don't think there is any short story in here (of the first 12 that I have read) that I did not enjoy.

Thanks for including that link. My link was back to your earlier FFB post and the newer post has more detail on some stories in the book.

neeru said...

First George, now you. I really must get this anthology.

TracyK said...

I agree, Neeru. This book is filled with good stories.

Lark said...

Sounds like a fun collection of short stories. :D

TracyK said...

It is, Lark. I have too many Christmas themed short story books and never have a chance to read from them around Christmas time. I must start earlier next year.