Thursday, March 16, 2023

Classics Club Spin #33: My List


The latest Classics Club Spin has been announced. To join in, I choose twenty books from my classics list. On Sunday 19th March, 2023, the Classics Club will post a number from 1 through 20. The goal is to read whatever book falls under that number on my Spin List by Sunday the 30th April, 2023.

So, here is my list of 20 books for the spin...

  1. Show Boat (1926) by Edna Ferber [299 pages]
  2. Fahrenheit 451 (1953) by Ray Bradbury
  3. The Postman Always Rings Twice (1934) by James Cain
  4. My Ántonia (1918) by Willa Cather
  5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964) by Roald Dahl
  6. Goodbye to Berlin (1939) by Christopher Isherwood
  7. The Wind in the Willows (1908) by Kenneth Grahame 
  8. The Quiet American (1958) by Graham Greene   [180 pages]
  9. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1955) by Patricia Highsmith
  10. We Have Always Lived in the Castle (1962) by Shirley Jackson
  11. A Wrinkle in Time (1962) by Madeleine L'Engle
  12. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1940) by Carson McCullers
  13. Cannery Row (1945) by John Steinbeck 
  14. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886) by Robert Louis Stevenson
  15. Dracula (1897) by Bram Stoker    [420 pages]
  16. The 13 Clocks (1950) by James Thurber
  17. The Warden (1855) by Anthony Trollope
  18. The Optimist's Daughter (1972) by Eudora Welty   [180 pages]
  19. Things Fall Apart (1958) by Chinua Achebe   [209 pages]
  20. The Nebuly Coat (1903) by John Meade Falkner



10 comments:

Kathy's Corner said...

I've heard The Warden is very good. It's the first book in Trollope's Barchester Chronicles series which people absolutely rave about. I have yet to read it but I must do so this year.

Cath said...

Some terrific choices there, Tracy. I've read a few of them, but I hope you get The Wind in the Willows or Jekyll and Hyde which I want to reread at some stage.

Margot Kinberg said...

As soon as I glanced at your list, Tracy, I saw Fahrenheit 451. That book really had an impact on me when I first read it, and I think Bradbury had a lot to tell us in it. You've got several here that I either have enjoyed or would enjoy, but that one - that one has stayed with me.

TracyK said...

Kathy, I would be happy with most of the books on this list. The Warden would be a good one because I have wanted to get started on the Barchester Chronicles.

TracyK said...

Cath, I am sort of hoping to get Wind in the Willows because I have been saying I would read this year and I need to do it sooner rather than later. I don't know if it will take me a lot longer to read because I have an annotated version or not, but that would be fine too.

I am curious about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I have seen the movie but that was so long ago.

TracyK said...

Margot, I have read Fahrenheit 451, but again that was a very long time ago and it would be like new. I am eager to see what I think of it now.

FictionFan said...

Lots of interesting books there! I love The Warden - one of my top favourite books of all time. However, I must say that spring or summer is the perfect time to read The Wind in the Willows, so my vote goes to that one. Whichever one you end up with I hope it's one you enjoy!

TracyK said...

Thanks, FictionFan. There are only a few books on the list that I am uncertain about (including the last three), and once I get into them I will probably enjoy them.

Lark said...

What a great list! I've read and loved so many of these books I don't even know which ones to root for. Happy spinning. :D

TracyK said...

Lark, I am glad to hear that. The only thing I am really hoping for is that the book I get is not one I have on Kindle, because I am still having problems working ebook reading into my life. But any of them will be good I am sure.