Monday, July 3, 2023

Two books for 20 Books of Summer — Anthony Price and Elly Griffiths


This month I read two books from my 20 Books of Summer list that had a major plot line centered around the King Arthur legend. I did not realize that when I put them on the list, and it was serendipitous that I decided to read them one after the other. 


The first book was Our Man in Camelot by Anthony Price. This is the 6th book in the David Audley series, a Cold War espionage series set in the UK (usually), often featuring some historical element in the plot. The series was written during the Cold War years; this one was published in 1975.

Audley, an agent in the Research and Development Section of the Britain's Intelligence Services, has taken an extended leave from his job—with his wife and young child—to finish a historical research project. CIA agents posing as husband and wife plan to dupe Audley into helping them find the location of Badon Hill, considered to have been the site of King Arthur's most important battle. You might ask why? Somehow it is connected to a US Air Force plane that vanished on a flight from its base in Britain. Since this is an espionage book, you never know exactly what anyone's goal is. 

Price's espionage books are slow and thoughtful and this one was very talky with little action, but it was a great read. 



The second book was A Dying Fall by Elly Griffiths.

This was the fifth book in the Ruth Galloway series, which features a forensics archaeologist living in Norfolk in an isolated cottage on the saltmarsh. 

From the flyleaf of the edition I read:

Ruth Galloway is shocked when she learns that her old university friend Dan Golding has died tragically in a house fire. But the death takes on a sinister cast when Ruth receives a letter from Dan written just before he died.

The letter tells of a great archaeological discovery, but Dan also says that he is scared for his life. Was Dan’s death linked to his find? The only clue is his mention of the Raven King, an ancient name for King Arthur.


Ruth travels with her young daughter Kate to Blackpool in Lancashire to take part in the assessment of the archeological dig and the bones found by her friend Dan. The investigation is exciting to Ruth, but it is hampered by academic intrigue and rivalries at Dan's college. Also, Kate's father is a policeman who is married with teenage children; he also ends up in Blackpool, where he grew up.

In the past I have had reservations about this series, but the characters and the stories are beginning to grow on me. In addition, the experience of reading about the research behind the Arthurian legend in Anthony Price's book enhanced my enjoyment of this book, which discussed some of the same documents and historians. 


These books were my third and fourth books read for 20 Books of Summer.


23 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I'm glad you're starting to enjoy the Ruth Galloway series more, Tracy. I do think it's an excellent series with some strong character development. I'm honestly not as much a fan of espionage fiction as you are, but I do appreciate it when espionage authors include some solid character development and atmosphere in what they write. I'm glad you think Price does that.

Cath said...

Like Margot, I'm pleased you're enjoying Ruth Galloway a bit more. The series grows in my opinion, both character-wise and archaeologically and I'm a sucker for anything with old bones!

TracyK said...

Margot, I did like this Ruth Galloway book more than the previous books, and I will be looking for more of them at the book sale in September.

Espionage is one choice for comfort reading for me. And Anthony Price's books give a history lesson too. This one was a bit easier to understand.

CLM said...

I really like both these series. I love Ruth and her insecurities, and all the quirky characters who work with Nelson. I think she does a great job at depicting him and all his ambivalence. The final volume in the series is waiting for me at the library - I am going to be sad for it to end.

Anthony Price is an acquired taste, I guess, and I always felt some books were stronger than others (although I can't recall which so will have to reread them all). I am glad you reminded me about his work.

TracyK said...

Cath, There were a lot of small things that bothered me about the Ruth Galloway series, when I read the first few books, but I guess I am beginning to enjoy the characters more. And it was fun seeing Nelson in his hometown and with his mother and sisters.

Glen also likes mysteries with archaeology in them but the personal issues of the characters did not appeal to him.

Lark said...

I like the Ruth Galloway series, but I'm also very far behind in it. At the rate new ones keep coming out I'll probably never catch up! ;D

TracyK said...

Constance, it will take me a good while to get to the end of the Ruth Galloway series. You do a good job of summarizing the good points of the series. I still don't like the use of present tense in this series, but it only bothers me occasionally now.

It is good to hear from someone else who has read the Anthony Price series. I am now in the situation of having to find a copy of the next in the series. I have some of the later ones but am missing several in the middle. Order probably doesn't matter once you get past the first few but I am committed to reading them in order.

TracyK said...

Me too, Lark, I have 10 more books to read in the series. It will be good to read them closer together though, this time I had not read the previous one for several years, and I was a little lost to begin with. But she does a good job of getting the reader caught up.

Sam said...

One of my favorite genres is spy/espionage novels, especially in series form, but I haven't read all that much of it in recent years. Just seems like I can't find any that compares to the old stuff I was enjoying so much in the Cold War years. Anthony Price is new to me, so I'm definitely going to give it a look. Thanks.

TracyK said...

I hope you do try Anthony Price's series, Sam. Since you already know you like espionage it can't hurt to give his series a try. Unfortunately I usually have to search around for copies, and I don't know whether libraries would carry his books.

Todd Mason said...

Will collect for next Friday's list...

Revisitation: after doing the 1st round of dishes (busy wknd), sat down and skritched the elder cat and recaught the 6th episode of MUERER IN PARADISE, w/both Sarah Martins and guest star Sarita Choudhry...my pulchritude-fix for the day...

TracyK said...

Thanks, Todd. Sarah Martins is my favorite Detective Sergeant on that show, although all of them have been exceptionally attractive. We will be watching an episode tonight. In the 10th season I think.

Todd Mason said...

She plays the DS, as I've seen the series, who's most likely to give her (most exquisitely pompous) boss the hardest time (and deservedly, if mostly affectionately). No lack of beauty on the series, no...and rather good/sensible of them to not attempt to write out the Martins-character's mother immediately. (Choudhury has been a Media Crush of mined since MISSISSIPPI MASALA.)

TracyK said...

Todd, I have not seen MISSSISSIPPI MASALA, nor was I familiar with it. I think I would enjoy it, if only for the setting. My uncle and his family lived in a small town in Mississippi (Batesville, in north Mississippi) and my family "vacationed" in Biloxi several summers when I was young. And the story sounds good.

Neeru said...

Anthony Price is new to me but since I don't enjoy espionage fiction much, I think I'll not search for his books though the disappearing plane is an intriguing hook. I have read only one book by Griffiths: the first in the Harbinder Kaur series. It left me underwhelmed in the end. Glad you enjoyed the books.

Todd Mason said...

It's a good film, indeed. (My typing is atrocious today, or yesterday now.)

TracyK said...

Neeru, Even though the Anthony Price books have very interesting information on historical topics, they are equally steeped in espionage. The previous books in the series have been even more so than this one. So I agree, probably not a series for you.

I also think you can get along without reading the Elly Griffiths books, there are plenty of other books out there to read and I for one will never finish all the books I have on my TBR. I have read the first few of the Ruth Galloway series, and to of the Harbinder Kaur series. I like the Habinder Kaur books. But she has another historical series that I haven't tried yet.

TracyK said...

Todd, I think I would like MISSISSIPPI MARSALA (and now I am spelling Mississippi with many extra s's), I will see if I can find a copy. I had read that there was a recent Criterion edition but I suspect it would be expensive.

Todd Mason said...

Anyone who can tolerate a decent-fidelity Youtube upload, even if only for a sense of how it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHQrw_s28qA

Current charge for the Criterion DVD package on their site is a mildly steep $24...do you buy many 2nd-hand DVDs? I haven't, for a while...

Todd Mason said...

I haven't read too much in crime fiction per se (vs. fantasy/mystery crossover fiction) that deals much with Arthurian matters...but it's an example of how everything can be grist for any sort of fiction-writing's mill...thanks for the pointers! Price and Griffiths also being writers I've barely read so far...if anything of hers (I know i've read Something by Price). One has to Let Go of fear of missing out when it comes to literature, unless one is among our speed-readers!

TracyK said...

Todd, we have not bought used DVDs that I know of. We used to buy a lot of them, now we are more choosy, but we have many, many in the house. Thanks for the youtube link, we may give it a try.

I was surprised to see the Arthurian legend in both of these books, even though the title for Anthony Price's book points in that direction. And Griffiths' books also usually touch on historical topics, since she is an archaeologist. Just not in the same way as Price's book. I love Price's books.

I agree, no one can read everything.

CLM said...

Doesn't your library do Interlibrary Loan? I definitely agree you should read Price in order, if possible.

The Ruth Galloway I am halfway through just had a flashback to the time Ruth spent in Blackpool and I wondered which one it was, so now I know without having to check!

I forgot to say it is refreshing to have a protagonist who is overweight and doesn't bother to color her hair yet always has multiple men interested in her! I wish real life were that satisfying; in the meantime, I will continue to get rid of the gray with chemicals . . .

TracyK said...

Constance, I haven't used the library for a good while because it is difficult to get there (I don't drive), but I should do that.

I enjoyed the setting of Blackpool in this book, I had heard of the area and notice it even more after reading this book, but had no clue what part of England it was in.

I agree that Ruth Galloway is a great role model, not perfect in anyway and usually not too worried about it, although she does have her insecure moments. Premature gray hair runs in my family and I never saw my mother without beautiful gray or white hair, so I never worried about covering it up.