Monday, January 1, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday: My Favorite Books of 2023

 


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic is Favorite Books of 2023. Note that the key word here is favorite, and these are the books I enjoyed reading the most in 2023. The list is in no particular order, and I included 13 books because it was so hard to choose only ten.

And here's my list:


Winter Solstice (2000) by Rosamunde Pilcher

This was a Christmas read and the first book I have read by Pilcher. It was published in 2000 and is over 500 pages long. A lovely story, with some romance on the side, set mostly in Scotland.


Assassin's Apprentice (1995) by Robin Hobb

This is a fantasy novel, the first book in The Farseer Trilogy. Hobb has written a good number of fantasies, under the pseudonym Robin Hobb and under her own name, Megan Lindholm. I don't have a lot of experience with reading fantasies, but this one sucked me in from the beginning. 


Slough House (2021) by Mick Herron

In the Slough House spy fiction series, Mick Herron has created a department in MI5 that is used to dump failed spies, agents, or analysts with no plans to allow them to be reinstated as MI5 agents. Most of the members of Slough House fool themselves into believing they can return, eventually. It seems like this concept would have a limited life span but the series is still going strong. This is book 7 of 8.


Killers of a Certain Age (2022) by Deanna Raybourn

This story is about four older women who have worked for years as assassins. The organization that hired and trained them is the Museum, and now the Museum has turned against them and ordered their deaths. The older women protagonists were a plus. It is not exactly spy fiction, but it reads much like a spy thriller, so it was perfect for me.



SS-GB (1979) by Len Deighton

SS-GB is an alternate history in which England has been invaded by Germany. The main character is Detective Superintendent Douglas Archer of Scotland Yard, who is forced to work under Gruppenführer Fritz Kellerman of the SS. Len Deighton is one of my favorite authors of spy fiction and I don't know why it took me so long to read this one.



The Last Devil to Die (2023) by Richard Osman

Book 4 in the Thursday Murder Club series. This was one of the few books I read that was published in 2023, and one of the few series that I try to keep current with. Two men and two women in their seventies or eighties form a club called the Thursday Murder Club. They started out investigating cold cases, but now they investigate current crimes whenever they get the chance.



The Mask of Memory (1974) by Victor Canning

The 3rd book in a loose series called the Birdcage books. They all revolve around a covert security group in the UK, a branch of the Ministry of Defense. The agents change from book to book, although some show up in multiple books. The series could easily be read out of order with no problems. Victor Canning is one of my favorite authors of spy fiction.



The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (2014) by Becky Chambers 

This is a space opera, the first book in a trilogy, the Wayfarers series. To get away from an unhappy event in her past, Rosemary Harper (not her real name) joins the small crew of a ship that creates tunnels through space for faster travel. She is the clerk, taking care of ordering and forms and such. Some of the crew is human and others are various types of aliens.



Greenwood (2019) by Michael Christie 

Christie is a Canadian author and the story is set in Canada, from 1908 through 2038. It is a multigenerational family story with a focus on nature and ecology, especially trees. It starts in a dystopian future in 2038 but soon travels back to follow the previous generations of the Greenwood family.



Missionary Stew (1983) by Ross Thomas

I loved this book; it is only the third book I have read by this author. I would call it a political thriller but it has a bit of espionage too. The two protagonists both had strange childhoods, one with a father who was jailed for being a Communist, the other having been basically ignored by his mother, an intelligence operative. The mother is a real piece of work. And one of the prominent secondary characters is named Velveeta Keats. Who can resist a book with a woman named Velveeta?



A Midsummer's Equation (2011) by Keigo Higashino

This is the 6th book in the Detective Galileo series but only the third to be translated to English. This entry in the series takes place at a fading resort town on the coast of Japan. Manabu Yukawa, also known as "Detective Galileo," plans to speak at a town meeting regarding a planned underwater mining operation. A guest staying at a hotel nearby is found dead at the base of the cliffs, and Yukawa is pulled into the investigation. 



Bullet Train (2010) by Kotaro Isaka

I like stories set on a train, and this one takes place almost entirely on the Bullet train that travels from Tokyo to Morioka. This is the type of thriller using very short chapters, each focusing on a particular character; the story hops from character to character. This can get confusing but it was still a favorite for me.



The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (2017) by Karina Yan Glaser

The Vanderbeekers live in Harlem, in an apartment that takes up two floors of an old brownstone. There are five Vanderbeeker children between the ages of 4 and 12. Mr. and Mrs. Vanderbeeker struggle to make ends meet. Eleven days before the end of the year, in the midst of preparations for Christmas, the Vanderbeekers are notified that the lease on their apartment will not be renewed; they have to be out by the end of the year. This is a lovely middle-grade book, with nice illustrations. The first book in a series of seven.




42 comments:

Lex @ Lexlingua said...

I see Hobb in here - I didn't know you read fantasy fiction too! Hobb is a master of characterization/ character arcs, love her work so much. Happy new year and wish you many good reads in '24 as well. ~Lex (lexlingua.co)

Sam said...

Nice list. I see some of my favorite books there: Richard Osman's latest, Slough House (love the whole series), and Len Deighton's SS-GB. I have a copy of Killers of a Certain Age in one of my shorter stacks waiting its turn right now, too. And now I'm especially curious to learn more about The Mask of Memory and Missionary Stew. You just keep turning up new stuff for me to check out...thanks

Lydia said...

I keep waiting for my library to purchase A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. It sounds amazing.

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

Joanne said...

I'm keen to read the new Richard Osman. Really enjoyed the first three in the series.

Jerry House said...

A great list. The reading gods smiled at you in 2023.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I love the Vanderbeekers books! Book six is on my TTT list of favorite reads for this year, in fact :-)

TracyK said...

Lex, I haven't read a lot of fantasy, but my son reads a lot of books in that genre, and he has loaned me books now and then. I have the scond book in the Farseer Trilogy, and it is about 700 pages long. But I am getting better at enjoying longer books now.

Thanks for visiting. I will be checking your list soon.

Kay said...

Tracy, I'm so happy! I've actually read a book (well, really 2) on your list! I've been commenting around on other blogs and I think yours is the first where I've read one of the books shared. Sigh. The two I've read are WINTER SOLSTICE (long ago) and KILLERS OF A CERTAIN AGE. Our mystery group will discuss that one in March (I think). Others also look good. You win the prize though!! LOL

Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse said...

Looks like you read some great books in 2023!

Jenni Elyse said...

Robin Hobb has been on my TBR for nearly 16 years! I don't know why I just don't read her books already, lol. I'm so glad you loved all of these. Happy 2024!

https://jennielyse.com/top-ten-tuesday-43/

TracyK said...

Sam, I do hope you look into Mask of Memory and Missionary Stew. I love Ross Thomas's writing so I think you could try anything by him and probably like it. Victor Canning wrote a variety of genres, and I have only read his spy fiction. He wrote a short private detective series but it also has elements of spy fiction.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Tracy, Some really good books here. Greenwood, Winter Solstice and The Vanderbeekers have me interested and I have Winter Solstice in my kindle so I am definitely reading that book. And regarding Greenwood usually not a fan of dystopian novels but this book doesn't go too far into the future and it's also a historical novel going back to 1908 so that has me intrigued.

Pam said...

Killers of a Certain Age sounds like a fun read and is going on my TBR right now!

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
https://readbakecreate.com/my-twelve-favorite-reads-of-2023/

TracyK said...

Lydia, I was very impressed with A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and I have the second one on my shelves. I hope it comes to your library soon.

TracyK said...

Joanne, I am sure you will enjoy the new Richard Osman book when you get to it.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Jerry, I did read a lot of good books this year. Of course, I did not read over 400 like you, but I wish I could get up to 200 a year. I think the most I ever read in a year was 115.

Margot Kinberg said...

Sorry I'm so late to this party, Tracy. You've picked some real winners, I think. I like Keigo Higashino's work very much, and you've also got Len Deighton and Richard Osman. I've read a bit of Deanna Raybourn's work, but not this one. Now you've got me curious to see what she's been doing. Your others appeal to me, too. I'm glad you had a good reading year.

TracyK said...

Rachel, How nice that we both have a Vanderbeekers book on our lists. I read your review for The Vanderbeekers on the Road and it was good to hear about how the books progress.

Sarah - Exploring All Genres said...

I read Killers of a Certain Age this year and really enjoyed it. I really need to give Robin Hobb books a try one of these days.

Susan said...

I love Raybourn's Veronica Speedwell series, so I really need to read KILLERS OF A CERTAIN AGE. It sounds super fun! Glad you loved it and all these others.

Happy TTT!

Todd Mason said...

The Deighton the only one I've read so far, but have been meaning to read the Lindholm.

Did the sfnal nature of SS-GB play into the delay?

neer said...

Tracy, I have read only two from that list. Higashino was just about okay,not good as Galileo's two earlier cases but Canning's book is a classic. Absolutely loved it. Wishing you a very Happy 2024.

TracyK said...

Kay, Winter Solstice was such a good read and I was surprised that I liked it so much. I will read more of Pilcher's books for sure. Killers of a Certain Age worked well for me; I have had a problem with assassins as sympathetic characters but not in that book. There are so many good books out there.

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

Greenwood sounds really interesting. I like family sagas. I hope you have a great 2024!

Lark said...

Winter Solstice is a favorite of mine, too. And I really want to read Slough Houses! Love your list of favorite reads from last year. Hopefully more are coming in 2024. :D

TracyK said...

Jenni, I highly recommend reading something by Robin Hobb, just based on this book that I read. I read it much faster than I thought I could, especially for such a long book.

Happy 2024 to you too, and I hope that there are lots of good books in your future.

TracyK said...

Kathy, the historical fiction part of Greenwood is much stronger that the two sections (beginning and end) set in a dystopian future. I found it to be a life-affirming book.

TracyK said...

Margot, I read a lot of good books this year and it was hard to narrow the list down. Someday I will read all the books (that have been translated) by Keigo Higashino; I hope to read two of them early this year. Same for Len Deighton; I still have a number of his books I haven't read. I want to try more books by Deanna Raybourn also.

Bill Selnes said...

An interesting list. I have read only Greenwood. All the best to you and your family for 2024!

CLM said...

It's so hard to narrow down a year's worth of reading, isn't it?! I have just read two of this group but agree they were worthy. I put the third Thursday Murder Club in my top ten and am on the waiting list book four. I am not familiar with Victor Canning but will keep an eye out.

I read the first Slow Horses book but although I liked the concept I didn't really get the humor (it's rare anything is too British for me but maybe that is). I have heard the new TV series is excellent.

thecuecard said...


Good list! We are liking the Slow Horses series with Gary Oldman, though his character seriously needs to take a shower, lol. And you have me putting the Michael Christie novel on my list for 2024. thanks for that. Happy reading in 2024.

TracyK said...

Pam, I highly recommend Killers of a Certain Age.

TracyK said...

Susan (Bloggin' 'bout Books), I want to try the Veronica Speedwell series and I think I have an ebook copy of the first in that series.

TracyK said...

Todd, for some reason I put off reading alternate history books forever. I think I have enjoyed all of them that I have read, but for some reason I think they are not going to work well for me. I did that with The Man in the High Castle also, let it sit around for years.

TracyK said...

Neeru, I don't often find other readers who are familiar with Canning's books. Mask of Memory was certainly less dark than most of Canning's spy fiction. I hope you have a Happy 2024 and that you read lots of good books.

Clothes In Books said...

As ever, very impressed by the variety of your choices, and always tempted to try something you liked as your recos are always good ones. Happy New Year Tracy, and hope 2024 is a good year for all of us, for reading and everything else. xxx

TracyK said...

Aj, Greenwood was a very good book. It made me want to seek out other family sagas.

You have a good 2024 too and lots of good reading ahead of you.

TracyK said...

I have high hopes for my reading in 2024, Lark. I am going to read mostly from my own shelves.

The Slough House series is very good, and I have read other books from Mick Herron and they are also great reads.

TracyK said...

Bill, I thank you for introducing me to Greenwood. Happy New Year to you and your family too. I am sure you have lots of interesting things planned for the year.

TracyK said...

Constance, I have been amazed that Osman could keep the quality of each book in his series so high. The characters are such a varied group.

The Slow Horses TV series is very good, and I liked the third season best of all.

TracyK said...

Susan (Cuecard), we just finished the third season of Slow Horses and are impatient for the fourth season. Jackson Lamb would be a hard character to do, but Gary Oldman seems perfect in the role.

I enjoyed reading Greenwood and I learned more about Canada while reading it. Happy reading to you too, and hoping that your knee gets better as fast as possible so you can do more.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Moira, I have been reading even more books outside of mysteries (and spy fiction) this year. And enjoying them.

I am taking an optimistic approach for improvements in 2024 in all areas.