Thursday, April 11, 2024

Two Brief Reviews

I read these books in March. Both were good books and very different stories. Each was challenging to read at times, and both were well worth the effort.


My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout

The story is about a woman, Lucy Barton, who was in a hospital in New York City in the 1980s for many weeks due to complications following an appendectomy. Her husband doesn't visit her very often because they have two young daughters at home and he has a job. Her mother comes to sit with her for a few days when she is in the hospital and they have some strained conversations about the past. This leads Lucy to remember her strange and unfortunate upbringing and her relationship with her parents and siblings. 

Lucy tells the story; thus it feels very personal. She is telling it years after it happened. That approach worked very well.


My thoughts...

  •  I loved this book. I do have to caution that this is not a happy, feel good book; I found it unsettling and sad at times.  Also sometimes it was very funny. 
  • On the other hand, it is only about 200 pages long and it had me longing to read more about Lucy and her life. Fortunately there are three more books about Lucy Barton. 
  • I like the themes, childhood experiences and mother-daughter relationships. This was only my second book by Strout; I read Olive Kitteridge a few years ago. 



A Beautiful Place to Die by Malla Nunn

This is a historical mystery, set in a very small town on the border between South Africa and Mozambique in 1952. New apartheid laws have recently gone into effect. 

The protagonist is an English police detective who is investigating the death of an Afrikaner police captain. The Security Branch takes over the investigation. They would like to blame the death on black communist radicals, and will be happy to beat a confession out of any suspect that fits their bias. Detective Emmanuel Cooper is directed by his superior to stay in the area so that he can ensure that the real murderer is arrested, if possible.

The story gets very complex. Emmanuel, an emotionally traumatized World War II vet, has problems of his own. The dead Afrikaner policeman's sons have it in for him, and he spends a lot of time avoiding them. He is lucky to be working with a native Zulu officer, Shabalala and a Jewish doctor who has no real credentials in South Africa.


My thoughts:

  • The setting of South Africa in the 1950s was well done. There was plenty of action and a sense of dread about how the English detective could survive. 
  • I could have done without some of the melodrama but I liked the depiction of apartheid at this time, and hope to continue reading the series. 
  • Apartheid is not a totally new subject to me, but I don't know much about it. I am still trying to understand the differences between the various racial groups involved.
  • It was a good story but a difficult read. The same thing applies to the other book I read that was set in South Africa during apartheid, A Lonely Place to Die by Wessel Ebersohn. That one was published in 1979 and set around that time. 




16 comments:

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Tracy, Very nice short reviews which give us a sense of both books. I read a bit of Olive Kitteridge enough to know Elizabeth Strout is an excellent writer and Lucy Barton which is about 200 pages sounds like it would be worth a try and I have yet to read a mystery set in South Africa but I want to.

TracyK said...

Kathy, I have read a police procedural about the changes in the police force in South Africa post apartheid (Dead Before Dying by Deon Meyer). That one was Meyer's first mystery, but he has others since then. I read it over ten years ago and don't remember a lot about it, but more about that subject should be interesting too.

jenclair said...

I loved Oh, William by Elizabeth Strout, and need to read more by her. I'm interested in the era of apartheid and love historical mysteries, especially those that teach me something. Fiction is often the best way into the history of a place and its people.

Lark said...

I haven't read either of these books, though I've been aware of STrout's novels for years. Someday I'll get around to reading them. Right now though, I need happier fare. Wishing you a relaxing and nice weekend. :D

pattinase (abbott) said...

I was convinced that her mother was a ghost for quite a long time in Lucy Barton. I love all of those books as well as her others. She is very gifted. It never bothers me that her books aren't happy because they are realistic and kind-hearted.

TracyK said...

Jenclair, I usually prefer reading fiction about historical subjects and different settings. And often with a historical mystery I find the setting (time and place) as interesting as the mystery.

I am eager to read more by Strout but right now I have none of the other Lucy Barton books. I will get more before the end of the year.

TracyK said...

Lark, I totally understand about needing happier fare. I used to lean more towards darker edgier books but now I tend the other way. Of course, sometimes you cannot tell in advance.

TracyK said...

Patti, Strout's writing is so good it outweighs any negatives. The picture of her childhood made me appreciate my parents more. I did not find this one nearly as depressing as Olive Kitteridge, partly because Lucy perseveres and is so likable. I will be read Olive, Again soonish.

thecuecard said...


Yeah I read the Lucy Barton novel ... and it's a bit of a melancholy one and is subtle about the daughter and mother's reconciliation. I think the Lucy books got easier for me to read as the character ages and begins to get away from her sad tough childhood. Lucy by the Sea might be my favorite of that series. See what you think.

Sam said...

I absolutely love Strout's books and the Lucy Barton ones are among my favorites. I'm kind of fascinated by how she keeps working in characters from older books into her latest ones. None of them are particularly happy, but they all have a lot to say about the human condition and who we, as a people, have become. The first one of hers I read was The Burgess Boys, and I've been hooked on her work ever since.

Margot Kinberg said...

I've been hearing that the Strout was really worth reading, Tracy. You're not the only who's said it's not an easy book to read, but I'll probably still read it. I really liked the Nunn very much. You're right that it's not light or easy, and it deals with difficult issues. But it's so well written, in my opinion, and with a real sense of South Africa at that time.

TracyK said...

Susan, I am sure I will enjoy the remaining Lucy Barton books. I did enjoy My Name is Lucy Barton more than Olive Kitteridge, probably because I could identify more with Lucy. I wish I could jump in right now and read them but I am sticking with books from my shelves for the time being.

TracyK said...

Sam, The Burgess Boys is one of Strout's books that I have now, and I plan to read it before the end of the year. That one and Olive, Again. It is good to discover a new (to me) author that I really enjoy.

TracyK said...

Margot, I think I am bothered so much by fiction about Apartheid and such subjects because I know that there were so many people who suffered because of it and for so many years. This book is one I should have read years ago but I kept putting it off.

Todd Mason said...

Tracy--just ducking in here to note, in re your enjoyment of THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB, as I've noted on Patti's blog, SARAH CANARY is a fine Karen Joy Fowler, as well...and THE SWEETHEART SEASON.

TracyK said...

Todd, thanks for checking in here to make those suggestions for Karen Joy Taylor's books. I did see your comment at Patti's blog but I appreciate you making the extra effort to let me know here.

I hope you start feeling better soon.