Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Short Story Wednesday: the Juliet stories by Alice Munro



Recently I read three short stories from Runaway by Alice Munro. All of these stories are about the same woman, Juliet. Together they total about 110 pages, about the length of a novella. 


The first story, "Chance," takes place in 1965, and tells about how Juliet first meets Eric, the man she later moves in with. Juliet had been teaching in a girls school; Eric fishes for prawns and lives in a cabin in Whale Bay, north of Vancouver.   

In the second story, "Soon," set in 1969, Juliet takes her 13-month-old daughter Penelope to visit her parents in the small town she grew up in. Juliet and Eric are still together but have not married, and this embarrasses her parents. Although Juliet's family has never been affiliated with any religion, a minister visits her mother and lectures Juliet about not raising her daughter with any religious beliefs. 

The third story, "Silence,"  takes place about 20 years later. Juliet now has a job interviewing people on television. Eric died years before while he was out fishing during bad weather. Juliet is taking a ferry ride from Buckley Bay to Denman Island, to see Penelope at a spiritual retreat. She has not seen or heard from her daughter for six months. Penelope invited her to the island but when Juliet arrives, she is not there and no one can tell her where to find her. The issue of the lack of spiritual training comes up again in this story.


I liked all of these stories, but I did find Juliet to be an enigma. She seemed to keep her emotions under the surface, and worried a lot about how people viewed her. As is often true, other readers interpreted these stories differently.

I recommend reading these stories all at the same time (or close together). I read the first story, "Chance," two or three weeks earlier than the other stories. While writing this post I went back and reread "Chance" online. I had not remembered that one of the characters, Christa, had featured prominently in the first and last story. Each one of the stories are fine alone, but as a whole they are more meaningful. I am sure I will reread them again later.


"Chance," "Soon" and "Silence" were first published in The New Yorker in 2004.

The three Juliet stories have been made into a movie directed by Pedro Almodovar, titled Julieta



17 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Well, I will definitely reread them too. I think Munro has other enigmatic characters. My favorite Munro story is "The Beat Went Over the Mountain." perhaps because I like the filmed version so much.

Margot Kinberg said...

What an interesting idea, Tracy - to look at the same person's life at three different times. You can really trace a person's history that way. I know what you mean, though, about wanting to really know a character better. Perhaps it's just Juliet's nature to keep herself under the surface, if that's the way to say it.

Diane Kelley said...

I've read Alice Munro stories and found many of her characters to be curious and enigmatic. Things must be strange in Canada...

Jerry House said...

Things are strange in Canada, George. I think their national dish is poutine.

TracyK said...

Patti, when I was looking into Alice Munro's short stories at the New Yorker, I remembered that "The Bear Came Over the Mountain" was available there. I probably have it in one of her books that I own, but easier to access it there. I hope to read it soon. I haven't seen the film based on the story.

Kelly said...

I like the idea of these three short stories being connected to one character. I recently added a collection of her short stories to my TBR, but can't recall its title offhand.

TracyK said...

Margot, I agree that looking at one character at different times in their life is a good approach. And I suspect that it was Juliet's nature to keep herself under the surface, as you suggest. It could make for problems in relationships though.

TracyK said...

George, as far as I can remember, I have liked most of the Alice Munro stories I have read. But I do think many of the characters are weird, out of the ordinary.

TracyK said...

Jerry, I had to look up poutine. It doesn't sound that bad to me. Unusual, but it could be tasty.

TracyK said...

Kelly, this is a good set of connected stories. I have read the first four stories in this book (Runaway), and have four stories remaining. All of the stories are about 40 pages long. One is 65 pages long, which approaches novella length.

Cath said...

I must read some Alice Munro at some stage. It's one of many gaps in my reading life! These sound really good.

Judith said...

Hi Tracy,
I absolutely must read these stories. I have a couple of Munro's short story collections around the house, but I don't believe that the Juliet stories were among the ones included.
I will definitely look for them!
Best wishes to you!!
And I hear you will be experiencing extreme heat, so I send my best wishes on coping with that enormous challenge. Keep cool with cold drinks and a book!

NancyElin said...

I read this collection in 2020! Forgot all about it until you posted this review.
Yes, the 3 first stories should be read together (minni novella).
Writing skill: snapshot of a love affair, family life, parent’s marriage (Soon)
…looking back at the pain (loss of contact with daughter Silence). As I look at my notes
...the stories "Passion" and "Tricks" are very good!
I'm moving on the a writer who I have read...but not her short stories "Roman Stories" by Jumpha Lahiri. Ms Lahiri amazes me. Born on Indian descent in London, educated in USA with many prestigous academic degrees. Then in 2012 she moves to Italy (with husband and children)and has trained herself to write in Italian! That is not easy to do...to write creatively in a second (third?) language. I can only manage creativity in English even though I spent 50 years in The Netherlands (attended school here as well!). So I'm excitied how Ms Lahiri and Ms Munro will be like when I compare them!

TracyK said...

Cath, I do recommend trying some of Alice Munro's short stories. The stories may or may not be to your liking, but she certainly received acclaim. She was writing for so long (1960s to 2010 roughly) and I wonder if her style or subject matter changed over the years. I enjoy the Canadian settings also.

TracyK said...

Judith, it is amazing how many short story collections Munro published in her life. I have a good number of them and it is a little overwhelming.

The area we are in close to the coast of California is not getting too much heat right now, although we are expecting a couple of hot days. But the interior areas of the state are experiencing much hotter temperatures.

TracyK said...

Nancy, Thanks for your notes on this collection. "Passion" is the next story I will be reading in this book. I look forward to it.

I have not read anything by Lahiri, but I am glad you reminded me of her short stories. I will look for some of her books at the book sale.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Tracy, Your description of the Juliet stories has me very interested and I know Alice Munro is a great short story writer. Going to put this one on my list.