Friday, August 16, 2024

Lost Lands, Forgotten Stories: Alexandra Pratt

  

Cath at Read-Warbler recommended Lost Lands, Forgotten Stories to me. The subtitle of the book is "A Woman's Journey into the Heart of Labrador." Alexandra Pratt tells her story of an ambitious trip on a river that not many have traveled.

I purchased this book in July 2020, during the pandemic. Like many of the books I bought that year, I had plans to read the book soon but put it on a shelf and it did not surface again until four years later when I decided to participate in the Canadian Reading Challenge again. 

I know very little about Labrador. Newfoundland and Labrador is the easternmost province of Canada; it is made up of the island of Newfoundland and the continental region of Labrador. Per Wikipedia, Labrador "constitutes 71% of the province's area but is home to only 6% of its population. It is separated from the island of Newfoundland by the Strait of Belle Isle." Reading Lost Lands, Forgotten Stories was a small step towards understanding more about Labrador, and I do think it gave a better picture of that area. But I have a long way to go.


In 1903 two men, Leonidas Hubbard and Dillon Wallace, attempted to travel 600 miles through the interior of Labrador with a native guide, George Elson. None of them made it to their destination; Hubbard died but Wallace and Elson survived, although Wallace suffered from frostbite and gangrene. Two years later, Mina Hubbard, Leonidas's wife, and Dillon Wallace went on separate expeditions to try to accomplish the original goal of reaching Ungava Bay at the mouth of the George River. Both Mina Hubbard and Dillon Wallace succeeded but they took different routes and Wallace took 60 days longer to complete the trip.

In 1997, Alexandra Pratt read excerpts of Mina Hubbard's diary in an issue of National Geographic magazine and was inspired to attempt to recreate the trip. In this book, Pratt describes the harrowing canoe trip that she and her Innu guide took down some of the same rivers that Mina traveled. Not only did Pratt have to prepare physically to be able to survive such a demanding trip, she spent a lot of time up front acquiring funding and gathering information about supplies and support that such a trip would require.  

In the intervening years between Mina's expedition and Pratt's trip, there had been changes to the terrain along the rivers. The Churchill Falls hydroelectric plant was constructed which caused the water level to be lowered in the rivers. It seemed to me that this had both positive and negative impacts on Pratt's trip compared to Mina's.

The team that Mina Hubbard took had two canoes and four native guides, so that Mina had to bear less of the physical burden of rowing the huge canoes that they used. Pratt's trip involved only two persons, herself and Jean Pierre Ashini, thus there was no backup if either of them was injured. Once I realized how many dangers they could encounter along the way, it seemed to be a terrifying trip to attempt. 

The details of ending the day by setting up camp on the riverbank, building a shelter, and preparing food were impressive as was the stamina and determination necessary to keep paddling the canoe steadily day after day. When they were in camp at night, Pratt's guide, Jean Pierre Ashini, would tell her stories about his life and experiences. This was one of the most interesting parts for me. He was forty when they went on this expedition. He had lived almost thirty years of his life living in the traditional ways as a hunter. He told of the ways the Innu have had to change just within his lifetime and the effect on their culture. 

Pratt tells the story of her adventures and struggles very well, and describes the beauty of the landscape along their route. She mingles descriptions of Mina Hubbard's original trip with her own, and that added depth to the story. This is a fascinating book and I learned a lot about Labrador, but I would have liked to have maps and more photos to help me visualize the trip. I read the paperback edition and the original hardback had a map on the end papers.  


22 comments:

Cath said...

Yes, I don't like it now if a book such as this has no map or photos of the expedition. I read a hardback library edition so it did have the map but no photos. That said, I was very taken by the portrayal of the interior of Labrador. It seemed pretty inaccessible to me and I'm staggered that anyone would even attempt such a trip. I went looking for more books on Labrador after that and found very little, I think it's one of those forgotten regions.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Shocking that I have only been to Ontario, Nova Scotia and British Columbia in Canada considering I am thirty minutes away from Windsor, ON. It used to be much easier to drive into Ontario before the borders became more guarded.

Kathy's Corner said...

Great review Tracy and it sounds like a very interesting travel book. I love reading about remote places particularly further up north. Alexandra Pratt deserves alot of credit and she prepared well fir this trip although I agree with you she should have taken more than one person with her in case one of them got injured.

Lark said...

Sounds fascinating. I love this kind of travel memoir. :D

Margot Kinberg said...

Wow, Tracy! This does sound absolutely fascinating! `I don't know a lot about Labrador and Newfoundland, but her journey really sounds interesting. And I like that idea of using experiences on a trip like that to show what a place is like.

TracyK said...

Cath, I was immersed in the book when I was reading it. I agree, once she started the journey and I saw how dangerous the trip was, I was amazed she even tried to do it. But it was a great picture of how inaccessible the area was (or still is, I guess). I am very glad I read it and it was perfect for the Canadian Reading Challenge.

TracyK said...

Patti, British Columbia seems like a great place to visit. I envy you having had easy access to parts of Canada. I have read books set in several of Canada's provinces, but I want to check out how many I still haven't read about.

TracyK said...

Kathy, my assumption is that she only had one guide due to financial restrictions. I imagine someone with more resources would have put together a bigger team. When I was reading it I wasn't considering all of this, I just went with the flow. But afterward I finished it, I wondered how they got as far as they did.

Kelly said...

I have not been anywhere in Canada! I cannot imagine taking on an adventure like this, but reading the book sounds like a great way to experience it. I'm never quite sure if I admire people like this or think they're crazy!

TracyK said...

Lark, I am not into adventure in my personal life at all, but I can enjoy it vicariously through reading.

TracyK said...

Margot, this book definitely fueled my interest in learning more about Newfoundland and Labrador. I don't know what is available about those areas, but I will look into it.

TracyK said...

Kelly, I haven't visited any of Canada either. I only fly in planes if necessary and it isn't anymore, and it is too far away for me. I have been doing the Canadian Reading Challenge off and on for years and have read many books set in Canada.

I do admire the author's desire to make this trip, but I don't come close to understanding why it would appeal.

Bill Selnes said...

Please don't say Canada is too far away. Even if you are not flying you could drive north. I live about 150 km below the tree line in this part of Saskatchewan. I have never been drawn to explore the vast wilderness to the north of my home. I did go on a 2 1/2 day canoe trip with my son's Grade 12 phys. ed. class. It was beautiful on the Saskatchewan River. My highlight was coming by canoe to the Forks where the South and North Saskatchewan Rivers unite. As we paddling up to the Forks I thought about the 200 years that voyageurs made this same river journey in canoes as they traded furs.

TracyK said...

Bill, it is sad but true that we don't enjoy traveling anymore, even places we could drive to. The pandemic may have affected that, but we did not do much traveling before that either. Canada is a beautiful country, full of variety, and I wish I could see every province. Although the colder ones would be challenging.

I am very impressed that you and your son did a 2 1/2 day canoe trip on the Saskatchewan River. That must have been a wonderful experience for both of you. I have read two books that include fur trading in Canada, Black Robe by Brian Moore and The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney. I enjoyed both of those and would like to find more like that.

Anonymous said...

Years ago I read a book about traveling by boat, possibly canoe around Great Slave Lake which is in the southern part of the NW Territory near northern Alberta. I think this may have been done by two women or possibly mother and son.
Although I am from the US, the I have been to almost all the Canadian provinces including the Yukon Territories and the Gaspe Peninsula area of Quebec.
The only provinces I have not been to are PEI and Labrador/Newfoundland.
Most of my travels have been by train across Canada, although some have included car travel or small airplanes.
None of my trips have been solo outdoors adventures, but I did see a lot of beautiful scenery from Butchart Gardens and some of the coastline of BC, the
Canadian Rockies to much of the Atlantic part of Canada such as Campobello Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Sam said...

I generally like this kind of book (with maps, please), and have a shelf filled with long walks, interesting road trips, river trips, etc. that I've accumulated over the years. I read them in an envious state of mind for the most part because I'll never be able to do that kind of thing but so badly wish I had at some point.

I love it when a book buried deeply somewhere on my shelves that has been completely forgotten about suddenly catches my attention. I had a couple of them do that on Saturday and now they sit on top my desk waiting for their chance to be read - finally. Both had been on the shelves long enough just to become part of the blurred background noise I see every day.

thecuecard said...

I had to look Pratt's expedition up ... was it done in 2000? Quite interesting but man it sounds very difficult. Labrador seems like an amazing outback place and I want to visit there and Newfoundland ... sometime. I like these kinds of adventure tales and of earlier explorers too ... and one can learn quite a bit from them. I wonder if she was eaten alive by mosquitos. I have just been to 4 provinces: Alberta, BC, Ontario, and Quebec ... but there is still much I want to see ... it is a vast country!

TracyK said...

Anonymous, I tried to find the book you mentioned above; no luck, but I will keep trying. How wonderful that you have traveled in so many parts of Canada. Train travel could be fun. I have been checking out maps showing all of the Canadian provinces because I want to read something from each province. There is so much I don't know about the geography of North America.

TracyK said...

Sam, maps would have made the book so much better. But I still appreciate the time the author spent writing up her experiences, because they were interesting on so many levels.

I know what you mean about books becoming background noise after they sit there long enough. I keep meaning to review every shelf (and there are a lot of them) regularly to find some forgotten treasures.

TracyK said...

Susan, I am not sure exactly what year she made the trip but the book was published in 2002, so 2000 sounds right. Looking back on reading the book it seems monotonous because all day every day (when they were not having weather problems) was paddling. But it was good reading and I guess it was her descriptions of the river and the riverbank and the problems they ran into that spiced it up.

If I remember correctly there were severe problems with flies (and maybe mosquitoes too) and they had to have a lot of protection (cloth and other preventatives) and that often wasn't enough.

Susan D said...

Oh good. Another trip based on Mina Hubbard's expedition. I'm currently reading (and re-reading) a lot of books about women's canoeing expeditions, including Rivers Running Free, (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/760530.Rivers_Running_Free) 1987 - ed. Judith Niemi & Barb Wieser. The many adventures in this book include 2 trips inspired by Mina's 1905 trip.

TracyK said...

Susan D, thanks for letting me know about that book. During some of my internet research, I saw that there were lots of books about canoeing trips, many more than I could imagine. But I did not see this one. I like the idea that Rivers Running Free is first person narratives. And thanks for the Goodreads link too.

I have put the book on my wish list, although I think I will have to be finding a used copy online. I will have to look for this type of book at the September book sale too. I never thought of checking for canoe trips there, but you never know.