Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Short Story Wednesday: "Scribbling" by Helen DeWitt


"Scribbling" by Helen DeWitt was published in the July 18, 2024 issue of The New York Review of Books. The story was fun to read but in the end I did not know what to think of it. It seemed to me to be full of whimsy, but whimsy has never really appealed to me, so why did I like it so much? It is impossible to describe adequately, and so short that I do not want to retell the story.

The premise:

A woman, Flip, is hounded by a New York agent to send him a manuscript. This irritates her husband to no end, and he is uncooperative in every way. Eventually she succeeds in sending a manuscript to get the agent off her back. The agent is thrilled and wants to discuss it. Through a series of mishaps, she finally gets to New York to meet the agent.  

I had to read the story twice, because the first time through I was trying to focus on the sequence of events, and there is much more to it than that. The next time through I focused on the writing style, which is a little over my head. I think I could re-read the story many times.

From the little I have read about Helen DeWitt, I understand that she has had problems with getting published; thus this story could certainly be poking fun at that process. 


If anyone can shed light on this story or other writing by Helen DeWitt, I would love more information on that subject.


17 comments:

Cath said...

I've heard of Helen DeWitt, at least I think so, but not read anything by her. Don't you love how short stories can have such an impact and make you read them over and over? I'm going to dig out some more sci-fi short stories for my winter reading, hopefully I'll find some good ones. I grabbed a collection by Damon Knight after reading that story I mentioned in a comment on one of your other posts.

Margot Kinberg said...

It does sound like an unusual sort of story, Tracy. It sounds like a rich story, too, with several layers. And I can certainly relate to difficulty getting published!

TracyK said...

Cath, I am glad you mentioned Damon Knight again. I checked to see if I had anything by him. I do have a Kindle book of short stories: "One Side Laughing: Stories Unlike Other Stories" (16 stories and one novella). So I will check that out.

I also am familiar with Helen DeWitt but had not read anything by her.

TracyK said...

Margot, I was thinking about your two latest books earlier this morning, Scene of the Crime and Shots All Round. I will be reading both of them soon.

Sam said...

I only vaguely recall the author's name from somewhere, but that story sounds like it could have well been based upon her personal experience and frustration in getting published. I like how even short stories can offer different things to consider after a second or third reading. It's almost as if they force the reader finally to consider all the possibilities the author intended.

TracyK said...

Sam, for obvious reasons I prefer short stories that I can read once and enjoy immediately, but when I don't like a story or have difficulties with it, I often find that a reread changes my opinion of the story. I find that strange and interesting.

neer said...

seems a different kind of story. Not heard of the author.

TracyK said...

Very different, Neeru. Some parts of it seemed like a fantasy story to me.

Kathy's Corner said...

I think that is a good sign if you can read a short story twice and also want to read it a third time because there is more to discover. I have never heard of Helen DeWitt but I'm interested. Short stories can be very powerful.

TracyK said...

It is a good sign, Kathy, and luckily it is a fairly short story. Helen DeWitt has a short story book which I hope to read someday, to see how they compare.

Todd Mason said...

I haven't read DeWitt, I think, so I'll try to find this. Thanks for the pointers!

Todd Mason said...

ONE SIDE LAUGHING is a good Knight collection, and includes a few of my favorite stories by him, including "I See You"...his later stories.

TracyK said...

Todd, I hope you do find the DeWitt story. I think you would appreciate it.

I am glad to hear that ONE SIDE LAUGHING is a good collection, and I hope to try some of the stories soon.

Lark said...

I often finish short stories not knowing quite what to think of them. ;D It's probably why I don't read them very often.

TracyK said...

I sympathize, Lark. I don't like stories I don't understand and I usually want a real ending, not an ambiguous one. I think mystery or science fiction stories tend be more straightforward, but there are always exceptions.

thecuecard said...

I'm often curious about publishing kinds of stories ... so perhaps I will read this one. And a story full of whimsy seems inviting.

TracyK said...

Susan, I hope to find more stories by this author, especially short stories.