The latest Classics Club Spin has been announced. To join in, I choose twenty unread books from my classics list and list them in a post before Sunday, August 16th, 2026. On Sunday, the Classics Club will generate a random number between 1 through 20 and post it at the Classics Club website. Then I will read whatever book falls under that number on my Spin List by October 4th, 2026.
So, here is my list of 20 books for the spin...
- Patricia Highsmith – The Talented Mr. Ripley (1955)
- Graham Greene – Our Man in Havana (1958)
- Edna Ferber – Giant (1952)
- Edna Ferber – Show Boat (1926)
- Virginia Woolf – Flush (1933)
- Roald Dahl – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964)
- Ray Bradbury – The Martian Chronicles (1950)
- Ray Bradbury – Fahrenheit 451 (1953)
- Charlotte Bronte – Jane Eyre (1847)
- Kurt Vonnegut – Slaughterhouse-Five (1955)
- John Steinbeck – Cannery Row (1945)
- Oscar Wilde – The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890)
- J. D. Salinger – Catcher in the Rye (1951)
- J. D. Salinger – Franny and Zooey (1961)
- Chinua Achebe – Things Fall Apart (1958)
- Dashiell Hammett – Red Harvest (1929)
- Dorothy Sayers – The Nine Tailors (1934)
- Robert Louis Stevenson – The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886)
- Lewis Carroll – Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865)
- James Thurber – The 13 Clocks (1950)
The three books I would most like to read for this spin are Jane Eyre, The Talented Mr. Ripley, or Our Man in Havana. Same as for the last spin. But, really, any of the books on my list would be fine.
Are there any books on my list that you have particularly enjoyed?

28 comments:
I've read ten of them, Tracy. ALICE IN WONDERLAND is, of course, my favorite, but SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE is a disturbing and powerful close second. Of the ten I have not read, THINGS FALL APART is the one I'd most like to tackle.
I've only read six of these. I hope you get one of the Ray Bradbury books. Are they both re-reads for you?
Jerry, Alice in Wonderland would be a good pick. I am glad you have good things to say about Slaughterhouse-Five, because I was a little leery of that one.
Kelly, Fahrenheit 451 is a reread, but it was long enough ago that it will seem new. I have several old paperback editions with interesting covers but small print, and an ebook edition.
I don't think I have read The Martian Chronicles and it would be good because it is made up of short stories he had previously published and then connected them somehow. So I am curious about it.
Since we're heading into Gothic spooky season, I vote for Jekyll and Hyde!
Jane Eyre is an all-time favourite, so i hope you spin it :-)
FictionFan, That is a good suggestion for a spooky read in Fall. And it is not very long either.
Brona, I cannot remember whether I have read it or not, and it is now time to remedy that, so I hope so too.
You've got such great books on your list, Tracy! The two Ray Bradbury books are my tops of his work. And I remember reading The Catcher in the Rye myself as a young person and then later when my daughter read it. The Nine Tailors is, in my opinion, an excellent example of Sayers' work, so if you get that one, I hope you enjoy it. Of course, I hope you enjoy whichever book you get. These are all excellent choices, I think.
I've read several of these but won't look back to see when and if it was before or after I started keeping track. I would pick Jane Eyre. Good luck with whichever comes up!
Great list of classics! I've read and enjoyed several of them...though I did think Catcher in the Rye was overrated. Happy spinning!
The Thirteen Clocks is a favorite of mine, but you have lots of other great books on the list.
The Talented Mr Ripley a great novel but very disturbing as I recall. My favs Martian Chronicles, Jane Eyre andThungs Fall Apart
What a great list! I’ve read about half of them. My favorites of the ones I’ve read are The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451 (probably my top favorites of the Bradbury titles I’ve read so far), Jane Eyre, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Good luck with the spin! 😊
Margot, I just recently looked into Sayers' Nine Tailors. I would not mind getting it on the spin at all. I have read it twice and had different opinions each time. I want to see what I think of it now.
Kay, I put Jane Eyre on my 20 Books of Summer list, so I would be thrilled to get it on the spin. I have been reading more slowly lately, but I have read some great books.
Lark, I read Catcher in the Rye when I was much younger, and I am curious what I will think of it now.
Deb, this read of The Thirteen Clocks will be a reread. I was puzzled by it the first time I read, maybe I will understand it better the second time.
Kathy, the reason I am eager to read The Talented Mr Ripley soon is because I have put it off for so long, and I just want to see if it is too disturbing for me. I have to push myself to read books like that.
Karen, I am eager to find out what I will be reading for this spin tomorrow. A lot of people really like the two Bradbury books, which surprises me.
James Thurber – The 13 Clocks (1950) - Hilarious, short sweet and so much fun to read!
You have so many good choices on your list that I don't see how you can go wrong with whatever number comes up for you. I particularly love the Ripley books of Highsmith's, though, and hope you get a chance to get into that series soon.
You'll love your #18 on the spin list!! I read it last year for RIPXX and was very impressed!!
Nancy, I should read The 13 Clocks soon, since it is a quick read (even though it wasn't the pick this time).
Sam, the Spin Pick this time was #18, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. That will be a new experience for me. I also hope I to get to reading Highsmith's Ripley books soon, though.
That is a good idea, Nancy. I will have to have a few books planned for the Readers Imbibing Peril (R.I.P.) Challenge, and make sure that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are included.
You have good picks. I'd like to read Jane Eyre and Franny and Zooey .... I'm glad you included a couple Salinger books! I've been a fan of his writing.
Susan, I am going to make an effort to find more readable copies of Salinger's short story books. I want to reread all of them.
I will be getting to Jane Eyre sometime before the end of the year. It is on my 20 books of summer and I clearly will not complete the list by end of August.
For this spin I will be reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, maybe by October 4th.
Post a Comment