Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A Few Challenges for 2017


In 2017, I am joining in on three challenges hosted by Bev at My Reader's BlockFirst up is The Read It Again, Sam Challenge. This challenge is for those who like to reread old favorites.


There are four levels for this challenge. I am joining in at the Déjà vu level: Reread 4 books. I will probably reread more than that, but I will start slow.

My favorite author to reread is Rex Stout, but I also hope to include books by: 
Josephine Tey
Margery Allingham
Emma Lathen
Jill McGown
Charles McCarry
Patricia Moyes


Next is the Color Coded Challenge. I took part in this one in 2013 and now I am back for more. These are the basic rules:


* Read nine books in the following categories.
1. A book with "Blue" or any shade of Blue (Turquoise, Aquamarine, Navy, etc) in the title. 
2. A book with "Red" or any shade of Red (Scarlet, Crimson, Burgundy, etc) in the title.
3. A book with "Yellow" or any shade of Yellow (Gold, Lemon, Maize, etc.) in the title.
4. A book with "Green" or any shade of Green (Emerald, Lime, Jade, etc) in the title.
5. A book with "Brown" or any shade of Brown (Tan, Chocolate, Beige, etc) in the title.
6. A book with "Black" or any shade of Black (Jet, Ebony, Charcoal, etc) in the title.
7. A book with "White" or any shade of White (Ivory, Eggshell, Cream, etc) in the title.
8. A book with any other color in the title (Purple, Orange, Silver, Pink, Magenta, etc.).
9. A book with a word that implies color (Rainbow, Polka-dot, Plaid, Paisley, Stripe, etc.).

I have a lot of books with a color in the title and a couple of series I want to read more of that feature colors in the title: the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald and the Pat and Jean Abbott series by Frances Crane.

And finally, the Vintage Mystery Cover Scavenger Hunt 2017


The goal is to to find as many objects on the scavenger hunt list as possible on the covers of the mystery books you read. Participants can play along in either the Golden or Silver Mystery Eras or both.

For the purposes of this challenge, the Golden Age Vintage Mysteries must have been first published before 1960. Silver Age Vintage Mysteries may be first published any time from 1960 to 1989 (inclusive). 

My goal will be to read six Golden Age mysteries to satisfy this challenge. I am sure I will read more than that number but sometimes matching objects to the scavenger hunt list is harder. I was not successful with the Silver Age mystery covers in 2016, but if I am luckier this year I will join in on that one later.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great choices, Tracy, and they sound like fun challenges, too. I'll be looking forward to following your updates!

Peggy Ann said...

Bev has the best challenges! Playing along with you on the scavenger hunt!

TracyK said...

Thanks, Margot and I look forward to reading the books for the challenges.

TracyK said...

They are a lot of fun, Peggy. I expect to find overlap with each of these and the Read Scotland Challenge.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Good luck to you, Tracy! I have a lot of Golden Age catching up to do next year.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Prashant. I have to get back to reading more Agatha Christie in 2017, and also catch up on some older authors I have neglected.

Bernadette said...

Those are all great ideas for challenges. I am tempted particularly on the colour one but looking at my TBR list I seem to have lots of blacks and whites but not a lot of other colours.

TracyK said...

I had the same problem when I did that challenge in 2013, Bernadette. I had a surplus of Black, White, Red, and Blue but had to scrounge around for other colors. I hope I have better luck this time. I like to be able to pick from my TBR shelves and boxes since I already have too many books.

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome back for all of the challenges, TracyK! Good luck.

TracyK said...

Let's hope my memory (and my available time) improves and I get my links up sooner in 2017, Bev. Regardless, I know I will have fun reading the books.