Sunday, January 15, 2017

Australian Women Writers Challenge 2017


In 2017 I am joining in on the Australian Women Writers Challenge. This is the 6th year of the challenge, but only the second time I have joined in. (And the first time I did not do so well.)

Per the website:
The AWW challenge was set up to help overcome gender bias in the reviewing of books by Australian women. The challenge encourages avid readers and book bloggers, male and female, living in or outside Australia, to read and review books by Australian women throughout the year.
Also please check out Bernadette's post at Reactions to Reading: Thoughts on the Australian Women Writers Challenge.



The levels are:
  • Stella: read 4 – if reviewing, review at least 3
  • Miles: read 6 – if reviewing, review at least 4
  • Franklin: read 10 – if reviewing, review at least 6
  • Create your own challenge: nominate your own goal e.g. “Classics Challenge”.

I am joining at the Stella level, and plan to read and review at least 4 books by Australian women writers in 2017. 

The books I have on hand are:
  1. The Half-Child by Angela Savage
  2. Murder in the Telephone Exchange by June Wright
  3. Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood
  4. A Decline in Prophets by Sulari Gentill
  5. Malicious Intent by Kathryn Fox



If you are interested in reading more about this challenge, see this post


10 comments:

Cath said...

Interesting challenge. Look foward to seeing what you read. Funnily enough I was only looking at Cocaine Blues on Goodreads the other day.

TracyK said...

I have had that book on my TBR pile over ten years, Cath, so it is about time I got to it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tracy, you are going to richly enjoy taking part in this challenge! And you've chosen some exceptional Aussie authors to start with. May I also suggest Emma Viskic, Wendy James, Sulari Gentill, and Felicity Young? All winners in my opinion.

TracyK said...

I do plan to include a book by Sulari Gentill, Margot. Some Australian authors are hard to find in affordable copies and I don't like to read new (to me) authors on the Kindle. I do not see that Emma Viskic's books are available here, but I will look into Felicity Young. Bernadette has also reviewed several books by Vanda Symon that I would like to try but they are also very expensive here.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, that looks like a good list of Australian women writers. I'm only familiar with Angela Savage though I have not read her work.

TracyK said...

Most of these authors are new to me, Prashant, although at least one (Greenwood) has been in my stacks forever. I am looking forward to trying them. I did enjoy the first book by Angela Savage, and expect to like the next one.

Clothes In Books said...

Oh good for you, I'll look forward to seeing your reviews. I always mean to read more Australian books, along with many other resolutions.

TracyK said...

I have some good books on my list,Moira, and I hope to add another author or two to the list. I have enjoyed all the previous books by Australian authors that I have tried.

Anonymous said...

First of all, Angela Savage's three books are all very good.

I, too, aspire to read more books by Australian women. My library is limited though, and I don't like to spend a lot on books either. So, I've read some of the books the library carried, which are by the most well-known authors.

I bought Emma Viskic's Resurrection Bay from Book Depository, no taxes, no shipping fees. However, they don't have most of Vanda Symon's books.

Some authors are being picked up by U.S. publishers, so that's worth check out as they're less costly here, as you know.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Kathy D. I do keep hoping that more Australian authors will be published in the U.S. I would like to find a copy of Resurrection Bay that is affordable, I will check out Book Depository. I have read the first book by Angela Savage, and will get the third one once I have read book 2.