Sunday, October 15, 2017

Deep Water: Christine Poulson

Description from Christine Poulson's web site:
When patent lawyer Daniel Marchmont agrees to act for Calliope Biotech, he doesn’t know what he’s getting into. The first lawyer on the case is dead, and a vital lab book is missing. Daniel and his wife Rachel are hoping biotechnology will also provide a cure for their daughter Chloe, who suffers from a devastating genetic disorder. Then the unimaginable happens, and they face a moral dilemma that threatens everything.
Meanwhile young researcher Katie Flanagan suspects something is very wrong in the lab. But knowledge is dangerous when someone is playing a perilous game . . .
I had never thought about the many aspects of pharmaceutical research and development. There are those who need the drugs, to improve their lives or maybe even save them. There are the researchers, who are fighting for time and money to complete their research. And the companies who fund the research with the hope of high return on the investment. I liked how this novel showed that all of these wants and needs can lead to misunderstandings, battles for power, and greed... and possibly murder.

There are a lot of characters, but the novel centers around Daniel Marchant's family and Katie Flanagan's research mishaps, and I had no trouble keeping the other characters straight. Daniel's involvement is complicated because the lawyer that he replaces on the case against Calliope Biotech was his ex-wife. Katie ends up living on Rachel Marchant's boat when she loses her flat. The  main characters all have their problems and the personal issues add to the story rather than detract.

There is a good level of tension throughout and the pacing is terrific. The setting is very nice too. The biotech industries are located in Silicon Fen in the area around Cambridge, England.

Poulson's next book, Cold Cold Heart, a sequel to Deep Water, is due out in the UK in November and in the USA in January 2018.  I am excited about the setting: an Antarctic station and I will be getting my copy as soon as it is available.

See also Moira's review at Clothes in Books and a review and interview at Promoting Crime Fiction.


 -----------------------------

Publisher:  Lion Hudson, 2016
Length:      250 pages
Format:     Trade paperback
Series:      Katie Flanagan, #1
Setting:     UK
Genre:      Medical thriller
Source:     I purchased my copy


16 comments:

col2910 said...

Thanks for this one Tracy. Sounds good but I'm allergic to novels with a medical/science theme to them. I think a read of Robin Cook put me off years ago. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Thanks for the review, Tracy. I'm familiar with Christine Poulson and her writing through blogging. I don't mind reading an occasional medical/science thriller, which I have read in the past, and DEEP WATER sounds quite interesting.

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed this one, Tracy. Isn't Christine talented? I look forward to her next release too.

TracyK said...

It is very good, Col, but I was surprised that the medical parts of it bothered me more than I expected.

TracyK said...

I know you would like this one, Prashant. Christine does a great job with the mystery and the topic.

TracyK said...

I know, Margot, the Antarctic is a great setting.

Katrina said...

I haven't read anything by Poulson but going by this I think I would enjoy the book, so I'll definitely give her a go. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Not tried her yet, but I really will have to! Thanks Tracy!

TracyK said...

That's great, Katrina. I do hope you enjoy it.

TracyK said...

I agree, Sergio, you should give her books a try. I also have one of her earlier books to read.

Clothes In Books said...

I love all Christine's books: I shared your good opinion of this one, and I too am looking forward to the Antarctic-set one.

TracyK said...

I have two other books by Christine to read, Moira, but if I can get the new one in January, that will most likely be the next one I read. I just read a graphic novel set in the Antarctic and that primed me for more.

Christine said...

I am so pleased that you enjoyed Deep Water, Tracy! That is lovely to hear.

TracyK said...

I did enjoy the book, Christine, it is the type of thriller I like with just the right amount of tension. The timing of reading worked well for me too, since it won't be that long before I can read the 2nd book.

Rick Robinson said...

Unfortunately, my library system has neither this or the newer one. So I'll continue to read what's on hand.

TracyK said...

That is a shame, Rick, I guess that happens with a lot of books published in the UK.