Sunday, October 20, 2019

Annual Book Sale: My Son's Books


At the Planned Parenthood book sale that we attend every year, my son usually concentrates on the science fiction and fantasy books, plus graphic novels. He often finds books for me, by authors I especially like, such as Terry Pratchett and John Scalzi.

Here I am featuring eight of the books he bought for himself this year, and you will notice that a number of them are cross-genre, with a mystery element.

To see a larger view of the covers, click on the images.



A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab is the first book in the Shades of Magic series. The story is set in four parallel worlds with four parallel Londons. Only some magicians can travel back and forth between the worlds. Sounds like an interesting premise. My son is reading this book now and liking it.

Charles de Lint is an author I have heard of but know little about. Per Fantastic Fiction, he is a full-time writer and musician who makes his home in Ottawa, Canada. He has written more than seventy adult, young adult, and children’s books, and I believe that he primarily writes in the fantasy genre. Widdershins is the 11th book in the Newford series.



The Kirkus review says of Westside: "Akers’ debut novel is an addictively readable fusion of mystery, dark fantasy, alternate history, and existential horror." It is set in an alternate 1920s Manhattan. 

The Diviners is the first in a young adult fantasy series by Libba Bray. The setting sounds very interesting: 1920s New York City. It is also nearly 600 pages, which is not unusual for fantasy books.



Tor.com describes Fortune's Pawn as an "action-packed space romance" in this excellent overview. It is the first part of a series by Rachel Bach.

No Dominion by Charlie Huston is the 2nd book in the Joe Pitt series, set in New York City. Joe Pitt is a private investigator and vampire. There are five books in the series. 



Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations is an anthology of short stories featuring paranormal mysteries. I am always willing to try out some short stories, so I will probably borrow this one sometime.

Hard Magic by Larry Correia is another alternate history set in the 1920s and 1930s. Jake Sullivan is a private detective with magical abilities. There are two more books in the Grimnoir Chronicles Series and some short stories.



8 comments:

col2910 said...

Probably not my preferred genre, though I have enjoyed Charlie Huston's work before. I probably have No Dominions on the pile.

Nan said...

I remember hearing about Charles de Lint years and years ago. Canadian, I think. I'm not a fantasy reader, but there was something he wrote that made me interested enough to give it a try. Thanks for the reminder. I'll go look him up!

Margot Kinberg said...

Your son has a really interesting selection here, Tracy. Admittedly, I'm not much of a one for fantasy, if I'm being honest. But I've heard of some of these authors, and I have always admired people who could create whole new realities like that.

TracyK said...

I will definitely try that Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston, Col, but I won't start with #2 in the series. There are others here I will try.

TracyK said...

After doing a little research for this post, Nan, I decided I would try a book by de Lint. Maybe one from the Newford series.

TracyK said...

I like some of these books for their setting in time, Margot, which surprised me. So I will have to check some of them out.

Cora Buhlert said...

Some really good picks there. Fortune's Pawn is one of my favourite science fiction books of recent years. Word of warning, don't read this, unless you have the sequels at hand. A Darker Shade of Magic is excellent and Charles de Lint is always worth reading. I also like Charlie Huston's books quite a bit. Regarding Hard Magic, I tried to read one of the Grimnoir books, when it was up for a Hugo Award a few years ago, and it did not work for me at all. However, the author has a big fanbase.

TracyK said...

Thanks for your thoughts on these books, Cora. Good to know we have some good reading ahead (as I plan to try some of his books too). I will definitely have to try something by Charles de Lint.