Monday, June 1, 2015

Reading in May and Pick of the Month


In May I read six books, five mystery novels and one book of short stories in the science fiction genre. My reading included three books written by Canadian authors, as I was working hard to complete thirteen books by Canadian authors before the end of the 8th Annual Canadian Book Challenge on June 30th, 2015.

The mystery novels I read in May are:

Ride the Pink Horse by Dorothy Hughes
Tainted by Ross Pennie
Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie
Trouble in Triplicate by Rex Stout
The Case of the Dotty Dowager by Cathy Ace

The book of sci fi short stories was Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider Robinson. Robinson was born in the US but has lived in Canada since 1973 and has dual citizenship in Canada and the US. The other two books I read for the Canadian Book Challenge were Tainted, which I have reviewed, and The Case of the Dotty Dowager, which has been published in the UK but will not come out in the US and Canada until July 1, 2015.

My Pick of the Month is Rex Stout's Trouble in TriplicateTrouble in Triplicate (1949) collected three of Rex Stout's novellas featuring Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.  I found that all of these novellas were strong in plot and full of interesting characters. Each has some relationship to World War II, although only one of them takes place before the war ends. 

The Crime Fiction Pick of the Month meme is hosted at Mysteries in Paradise. See this month's post for links to other Picks of the Month.

17 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Always liked the Rex Stout books!

TracyK said...

Me, too, Patti. I wish I could re-read one a month or more.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Really wan to t read the Hughes now, especially as the Robert Montgomery movie adaptation has just come out in Blu-ray - thanks Tracy.

RebeccaK said...

Looks like a good reading month, Tracy. Though I haven't commented much lately, I am adding lots of books to my TBR after I stop in. Have a good reading month!

Anonymous said...

You did have a good month, Tracy! And not surprised you choose the Stout collection as your pick of the month. Thanks, too, for reminding me of Cathy Ace's series. I like her Cait Morgan series, but haven't (yet) tried the other. Time I did, I think...

TracyK said...

That new Blu-ray edition is why I read the book now, Sergio. I bought it as soon as it came out and I wanted to read the book first.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Rebecca. It was a great month, although I always wish I could read twice as much.

col2910 said...

Glad you had a fairly decent month, though there isn't too much of yours that appeals to me. If forced to choose - I'd probably go for your favourite - Gardner and Stout!

TracyK said...

The Cathy Ace book was very good, Margot, and I plan to try her other series too.

TracyK said...

I would think Ride the Pink Horse would come closest to your usual reading, Col, although since it is from the 1940's it might not appeal.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, Rex Stout and his Nero Wolfe are going to haunt me until I read their books, which is a good thing. I recently bought my first Rex Stout novel (whose title alludes me as I type this in office) and I'll be reading and reviewing it as soon as I can.

TracyK said...

I do hope you like the book, Prashant. They are not for everyone, but you have such a love and appreciation for fiction of all kinds.

Blogoratti said...

That was a good month for you indeed, thanks for sharing and best wishes!

TracyK said...

Thank you, blogoratti. I met some goals, did not get to others, and will merge them into June reading plans.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Thanks, Tracy! In fact, you do far more than me.

Unknown said...

I've never read a Nero Wolfe, but have been telling myself to try it for more than 20 years!
If you are interested, I also host a monthly mystery/thriller/crime link called the Cloak and Dagger Challenge. You can link in as many reviews as you like each month, or just a monthly recap.
http://eviloverlordthoughts.com/challenges-2015/cloak-dagger-june/

TracyK said...

Hi Elizabeth B., I hope you do try a Nero Wolfe book sometime. Thanks for telling me about the Cloak and Dagger Challenge. I have a hard time remembering to check in and leave links for challenges, but I do read a lot of mysteries and thrillers.