Sunday, October 25, 2015

Skulls and Skeletons (Book Sale Part 4)

In the spirit of Halloween, which is fast approaching, here are the skull and skeleton covers I acquired at the book sale.

The Mr. and Mrs. North Mysteries in the Pocket Books editions often have nice skeletons adorning the covers.




Having very little experience with the mysteries of Arthur Conan Doyle (at least in written form), I was not even aware of the existence of this volume of non-Sherlock Holmes stories, Tales of Terror and Mystery. Lovely cover, and I will certainly give them a try.






















The skull cover for The Hound of the Baskervilles is a little less impressive (as skull covers go), but very atmospheric. And I have added to my available Sherlock mysteries to try.




In 1991, Julie Smith was the first American woman to be awarded the Edgar for Best Mystery Novel since 1956. The winning book was New Orleans Mourning, and was the first in a series starring Skip Langdon, a female police officer.

The Axeman's Jazz is the 2nd book in the Skip Langdon series. I have a copy of the hardcover edition which is much better because the skeleton is not obscured as much.

















And now we get to my favorite cover of the lot... at least as far as cover art goes. The Straight Man by Roger L. Simon. I don't know how well the cover fits the story. Moses Wine takes on a case for his psychiatrist, in the fifth book in the series. Set in West L.A.


20 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh. Moses Wine. He will forever look like Richard Dreyfus to me.

Clothes In Books said...

What fabulous additions to your collection Tracy....

TracyK said...

Agreed, Patti. I saw The Big Fix with my husband before we were married, at an afternoon matinee, and we were practically alone in the theater. I remember that so well but don't remember the movie much now. I want to reread The Big Fix. And then read more of the series.

TracyK said...

They are lovely, Moira, and I am very happy with them.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Yes, the Simon cover is a beaut though they are all very nice indeed - as far as I remember, the character in the Moses Wine book was based on Richard Pryor ...

col2910 said...

Tracy, not too much here to tempt me,(thankfully), though I do have the Simon book, albeit another edition.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Moses Wine — I wonder if he doesn't look more like Groucho Marx.Tracy, I have been planning to reread "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and I'm looking for a good physical copy. I don't like reading classics in ebook format.

Peggy Ann said...

Their all lovely Tracy! You know I've never read a Sherlock Holmes! The TV show made me lazy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tracy, those are fabulous covers! And some fine books, too. I really hope you'll like the Smith and the Lockridge! Looking forward to your reviews.

TracyK said...

Sergio, I also read that the comic in The Straight Man was based on Richard Pryor but wasn't sure of my facts, so I was waiting to see if someone else knew more about that. Apparently he wrote a screenplay with Pryor. Makes me even more eager to read it, but then I would have to skip other books in series, which might be ok.

TracyK said...

Moses Wine books seem too tame for you, Col. Although I don't know how many I have read and don't remember much, so what do I know?

TracyK said...

The skull on the cover certainly seems to be Groucho, Prashant. Once I read the book I will know if that fits with the book or not.

I bet you won't have problems finding a good copy of a Sherlock Holmes book, Prashant. When I was looking for a copy of A Study in Scarlet, I was most concerned with getting a copy with print large enough to read. I can't enjoy a book if I have to squint to read it. (But I still haven't read it yet.)

Bill Selnes said...

TracyK: Only you, with your love of skeletons, could describe them as "nice". The covers are fine depictions of skeletons. Only that previous cover of bones shaped like a gun is better than the above.

TracyK said...

Peggy, I have now (very recently) read my first Sherlock Holmes short story. In 2016 I hope to read more short stories and a couple of the novels.

TracyK said...

Margot, I look forward to reading both the Smith book and the Lockridge book. Especially the Smith, because that will be another new author for me.

TracyK said...

It would be hard for me to pick a favorite skeleton or skull cover from this group, Bill. That cover with a gun made up of bones is one of my favorites, though. I will never grow tired of collecting skeleton covers.

NancyElin said...

Breaking News!
I'm reading another crime ficton today:
The Hound of the Baskervilles!!

TracyK said...

I just recently finished A Study in Scarlet, my first Sherlock Holmes novel. Sometime soonish I will read the next one, The Sign of Four. I have heard that Hound of the Baskervilles is very good.

NancyElin said...

It was a very good book! I had to get used to the fact that Watson tells most of the story. This was my firs Sherlock book so I had no idea what to expect.

TracyK said...

It is probably the use of Watson to tell the story that appeals to me, Nancy.