Saturday, July 8, 2023

My reading in May and June 2023



In May and June, I read a total of 17 books. Two were nonfiction, and two were general fiction, both from my Classics Club list.

The other 13 books were crime fiction. Two of those were short story books that I was finishing up from previous months. 

In June I started on my 20 Books of Summer list and read 6 from that list. I have even posted my thoughts on four of those. 


So here are the books I read.


Nonfiction / Health

Hello, Sleep (2023) by Jade Wu

The focus of this book is insomnia. The subtitle is "The Science and Art of Overcoming Insomnia Without Medications." The book offers a self-guided program that helps change a person's sleeping patterns and behavior using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). The book was extremely interesting to me and I learned a lot from it.


Nonfiction / Books about Books

Book Lust to Go (2010) by Nancy Pearl

My third read of this book, and I enjoyed it every time I read it. This time I read it specifically for the Bookish Books Reading Challenge and to look for some books for the Wanderlust Challenge at FictionFan's Book Reviews, which I am planning to start working on (after 20 Books of Summer).


Fiction

The Optimist's Daughter (1972) by Eudora Welty

I read this book for the Classics Club Spin #33. The book is very short, 180 pages in the edition I read. It was published in 1972 and won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1973. Welty was a well-known author of Southern fiction but she only wrote five novels, between 1946 and 1972. See my thoughts here.


The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1940) by Carson McCullers

I read this book for the Classics Club Spin #34 and it is also on my 20 Books of Summer list. How lucky was that? I liked the book a lot, and will be reviewing it in July.


Crime Fiction

Murder by the Book: Mysteries for Bibliophiles (2021) ed. by Martin Edwards

Murder by the Book is a short story anthology edited by Martin Edwards. It is a part of the British Library Crime Classics series, published in the US by Poisoned Pen Press. I reviewed some of the stories in this book here and here.


Paper Chase (1989) by Bob Cook

This is a humorous book about four old spies who retired years ago, and only get together at the funerals of other old friends who were intelligence agents. They are forbidden to publish their memoirs, and they decide to deal with this by writing and publishing a fictional story based on their memoirs. I enjoyed the book, it was short and fun but serious enough. And I love the cover.


Slough House (2021) and

Bad Actors (2022) by Mick Herron

Books 7 and 8 in the Slow Horses series. Mick Herron is an author that has never disappointed me. The "slow horses" are MI5 agents who have been demoted due to some disgrace or screw up in their jobs, and are now working under Jackson Lamb. Amazingly, this is one series I have kept current with. I love the writing, the characters, and the plots get better and better.


Murder is Easy (1939) by Agatha Christie

This is one of Christie's standalone mysteries, published in 1939. It isn't one of her best, but most books by Christie are worth reading, and this one was fun and entertaining. Luke Fitzwilliam, a retired policeman, returns to England after several years in the East. He is on a train when he meets Miss Fullerton, an elderly woman on her way to Scotland Yard to report some murders in her village. Later, when he finds that Miss Fullerton was killed in a hit-and-run accident in London, and that the man that she thought was going to be the next murder victim had also died recently, he goes to her village to investigate. 


Killers of a Certain Age (2022) by Deanna Raybourn

This story is about four older women who have worked for years as assassins. The organization that hired and trained them is the Museum, and now the Museum has turned against them and ordered their deaths. At first I was reluctant to read this book because I have had problems with books centered around hitmen, but I had heard so much about this one, I had to try it. I loved this book, and I regret that I did not have time to review it. 


Dolphin Junction: Stories (2021) by Mick Herron

This collection was published in 2021 and features 11 short stories previously published between 2006 and 2019. There are four stories about the Oxford wife-and-husband detective team of Zoƫ Boehm and Joe Silvermann, characters from Herron's Oxford Investigations series, plus a story about Jackson Lamb, top agent in the Slow Horses series, which goes back to a time in the past when he had an assignment in Berlin. There are also six short stories with no connection to any of his novels. I reviewed some of the stories in this book here and here.


Clark and Division (2021) by Naomi Hirahama

This is the first book I have read that gave me any insight into the internment of Japanese Americans into "relocation camps" during World War II. In this novel, the Ito family are sent to Manzanar shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Later they are resettled in Chicago, far from their original home Southern California. The oldest daughter was sent to Chicago first, and when the rest of the family arrives, they find that she has committed suicide. This was a good read, and it inspires me to read more about the subject. The second book in this series, Evergreen, will be published on August 1, 2023. In that book, the Ito family has been allowed to return home to California.


The Mitford Murders (2017) by Jessica Fellowes

The first book in a series set among the Mitford family, in 1920.  My review here.


Mindful of Murder (2022) by Susan Juby

Helen Thorpe returns to the Yatra Institute, a spiritual retreat where she used to work, after the owner of the institute dies. The author is Canadian and the setting is one of British Columbia’s gulf islands. My review here.



Our Man in Camelot (1975) by Anthony Price

This is the 6th book in the David Audley series, a Cold War espionage series usually set in the UK. See my thoughts here.


A Dying Fall (2012) by Elly Griffiths

This was the fifth book in the popular Ruth Galloway series, which features a forensic archaeologist living in Norfolk in an isolated cottage on the saltmarsh. Since both this book and Our Man in Camelot centered around the Arthurian legend, I combined my reviews in one post.


Sworn to Silence (2009) by Linda Castillo

I had been putting off reading this 1st book in the Kate Burkholder series, another very popular mystery series, set in an Amish town in Ohio. Kate Burkholder is the police chief of the town. One of her deputies finds the body of a dead girl who has been raped and mutilated. I thought this book would have too much graphic violence and tension. It was not too tense (for me) and I loved the characters. The violence was a bit too much for me, but I will be reading more of this series. 


Walks




The images at the top and bottom of the post were taken in May, when we visited Alice Keck Park Memorial Garden, a small park in Santa Barbara. It covers only one city block, but has lots of paths to walk around on, and is a favorite for dog walkers. For three years when our son was very young, we lived across the street on Garden Street. It was the only time we have lived in the city rather than an unincorporated area.

My husband took the photos. Click on the images for the best viewing quality.


16 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

What a great group of books. I see a trend toward books about older people and I seem to be drifting that way too.

TracyK said...

Patti, there was only one that was a bit of a disappointment (The Optimist's Daughter) but all the rest were good reads. I also am enjoying reading books with older protagonists. Books like that have been around for awhile but now there are many more available.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Tracy

Congratulations on reading 17 books in May and June. I wish I still had a copy of Nancy Pearl's Book Lust what a wonderful resource. Must get another copy. Have never read The Heart Is A Lonely zHunter but I did read A Member of the Wedding in high school and it was excellent. So glad you read Sworn To Silence. Its violent but its well written and the romantic chemistry between the two main characters I really enjoyed.

Cath said...

Lovely photos!

I shall see if I can find Murder is Easy as I like the sound of it a lot. Glad you enjoyed Killers of a Certain Age, it is about assassins but luckily does not take itself very seriously. I've read several of the Kate Burkholder books and really must get back to them at some stage. A good couple of months worth of books for you!

TracyK said...

Kathy, I have copies of all the Book Lust books by Nancy Pearl. I find them perfect for rereading over a period of weeks or months.

The Member of the Wedding is definitely a book by McCullers that I would like to read. I will look for anything by her I can find at the book sale in September and go from there. I am curious about Reflections in a Golden Eye because I saw the movie long ago and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing she would have written.

I liked the romantic relationship in Sworn to Silence also and thought it was very well done.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Cath. I love going to that park and this year it is so green and lush after the rains in the winter. So different than during the years of the drought.

I forgot to mention that another title for Murder is Easy was Easy to Kill. I can't remember which is the primary title. I enjoyed it a lot.

The only thing about finding a new series like the Kate Burkholder series is that it already has 15 books in it, but I will just move ahead one book at a time and see what I think. I like the setting in Amish country.

Nan said...

I read an excellent book about the internment that you might like. Displacement by Kiku Hughes. A bit about it here: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250193537/displacement

TracyK said...

Nan, thanks for that link. I looked up Displacement and it looks like a very good graphic novel. I added to my list of resources and put it on my wish list.

Sam said...

I noticed the comment up above about "books about older" people, and I found it interesting because they seem to be so much easier to find now than ever before - or maybe when I was younger, I just tuned them out. :-) I do think that part of that overall trend is that so many great writers are "older" now themselves and still healthy enough to be producing good work. I've noticed exactly the same trend in movies...and I love it.

You had a couple of really nice reading months, sounds like. You hit on a couple of books I've been meaning to get to for a while - they've been on my shelves way to long without moving.

TracyK said...

It was a good two months of reading, Sam. I have enjoyed several books featuring older people lately. And enjoyed all of them. You may be right about writers getting older and writing about what they experience, whatever the reason, I like the trend.

Margot Kinberg said...

I'm sorry to be late to the party, Tracy! You got some great reading done in July. I liked Clark and Division very much, so it's good to hear that you did, too. And you absolutely can't go wrong with a collection that's edited by Martin Edwards. I have that on my wish list but haven't gotten to it yet. I need 50 hours in a day to even get near where I want to be with my TBR!

TracyK said...

Margot, it is always good to hear from you. Clark and Division is a very good book, and I enjoyed your video review of it. The classic mystery short story anthologies edited by Martin Edwards are usually exceptional, and there are quite a few of them I haven't been able to read yet. I know what you mean about trying to keep up with your TBR.

CLM said...

What a great month! I am glad you liked Killers of a Certain Age; it was uneven in places but overall, I thought quite enjoyable. And I really like the Linda Castillo series although on the last one I got mad that Kate was taking some irresponsible changes (I think a good author can create a set up that is dangerous without making the reader so exasperated with the characters).

You know I like Anthony Price and Elly Griffiths - I will save those reviews for tomorrow as I have to do an overdue agenda for my Friends of the Library Group which is meeting tomorrow night.

I wish I had liked the first Mick Herron better. However, Paper Chase sounds very fun. I will keep an eye out for that.

I am not a big TV person but have really been enjoying a British show called Unforgotten. I think you and your husband would like it.

TracyK said...

Constance, I will be continuing the series by Castillo, but it does have a good number of books, so don't know how far I will get into it. I enjoyed Paper Chase and I am going to try another book by the same author and see if I like it as well.

I don't know much about Unforgotten, so I looked it up and it does sound good. It looks like we do have access to it so we will give it a try. We don't watch tons of shows so it may take a while to fit it in. Thanks for telling me about it.

Anonymous said...

I check in with your blog from time to time, and always enjoy discovering new-to-me book titles. You said in this post, regarding Clark and Division: "This is the first book I have read that gave me any insight into the internment of Japanese Americans into "relocation camps" during World War II." I can recommend to you the 1994 award winning mystery novel "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson. Set in the Puget Sound area of Washington state. Quoted from Publishers Weekly, "a multilayered courtroom drama set in the aftermath of the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII." An engaging story, beautifully written.
Kelley

TracyK said...

Kelley, Thanks so much for commenting on this. I have had Snow Falling on Cedars recommended to me before but for some reason I had forgotten the connection to the Japanese and the internment camps. And I have discovered that I have a copy, so I will have to remember to get to it soon. I also don't think I have read much set in that area, so that will be interesting too.