Monday, October 16, 2023

#1962Club: Gambit by Rex Stout

 


Rex Stout wrote 33 novels and 41 novellas about the private detective Nero Wolfe and his assistant, Archie Goodwin. The novellas were published in 14 books; each book has two, three or four novellas.  The books are narrated by Archie. The series began in 1934 and the last book in the series, A Family Affair, was published in 1975, shortly before Stout's death. Over the forty plus years in which this series was published, the protagonists did not age at all, but they were always placed within the context of the time that the book was written. 


I read Gambit for the 1962 Club hosted by Simon at Stuck in a Book and Karen at Kaggsy's Bookish Ramblings. This is a reread. I have read all of the books in the Nero Wolfe series multiple times. 



A man has been murdered at a chess club, during a special event. Paul Jerin, a chess maven, was playing chess games against multiple players at the same time. The men playing against him were in one room and he was in a room by himself. Matthew Blount arranged the event, and four men, friends of his, were messengers supplying each opponent's moves to Jerin. Shortly after the event begins, Jerin begins feeling ill. Soon he is taken to the hospital and ultimately he dies of poisoning. Blount, an important business man, is arrested for the crime because all the evidence points towards him. 

Sally Blount, 22-year-old daughter of the accused man, hires Wolfe to clear him because she doesn't believe that his lawyer can do the job. She has to scrape together her own money to hire Wolfe because her family doesn't want Wolfe involved.

The Nero Wolfe series is fun to read because Wolfe has so many quirks. He hates to leave his home, thus he needs Archie Goodwin to do the legwork for him. He has a strict routine every day, including four hours each day (9am-11am) and (4pm-6pm) in his plant rooms on the top floor of his brownstone caring for his orchids. He never discusses business when eating. And eating and good food are very important to him. He has a cook (who also keeps the house clean) and a full-time expert in charge of the orchids. But his biggest quirk is that he does not like to work and only takes a case when he needs the money. Part of Archie's job is to prod him into accepting cases and make sure they keep an adequate balance in the bank to live on and pay his employees.

However, this book has one of the most straightforward plots of the 33 novels that Rex Stout wrote. Less of the quirks are evident or emphasized. The plotting is intricate and the mystery is especially challenging.


One of the many things I love about the Nero Wolfe novels is the beginnings. Usually the first paragraph or two provides a very good introduction. In this case, Wolfe is burning a dictionary in the front room; a prospective client (with an appointment) shows up but Wolfe doesn't want to be interrupted. He is burning the dictionary because he strongly objects to some of the definitions. The dictionary being burned is Webster's New International Dictionary, Unabridged (Third Edition), published in 1961. This third edition did cause some controversy when it first appeared, so I guess that Stout was commenting on that. I am sure that I was a bit dismayed by the thought of burning a book even when I first read the book in my teens or twenties, but Wolfe explains to Archie that he is allowed to burn his own personal copy.

There are often literary references in the books. In most of the Nero Wolfe novels, Wolfe is reading a book, usually a recently published book. In this book it is African Genesis by Robert Ardrey, published in 1961. I remember reading that book, but I probably read it in the early 70s. Because Sally stays in an extra room at Wolfe's brownstone for a few days due to friction with her family, Wolfe allows Sally to read any book off his shelves, and she picks a book by Voltaire. Twice, during a meal, Wolfe and Sally discuss topics involving Voltaire, his writing and his life. 


All in all, Gambit by Rex Stout was an exceptionally good read, as I expected. It is entertaining, and funny at times, but towards the end it gets darker as Wolfe and Archie close in on the murderer. Even knowing who did it, I did not remember how Wolfe fulfills his mission to clear Matthew Blount. And I have only scratched the surface of this plot, even though the book is short, around 150 pages.



18 comments:

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Tracy, I read the first book in the Nero Wolf series many years ago and I don't know why I didn't go further because I really enjoyed the first novel, the Manhattan setting, the 1930's and the friendship and employee/employer relationship between Archie and Nero. It's a very popular series set in a very different time than today. It's also not a series that one has read in order. So it's time for me to revisit Rex Stout. Great review.

TracyK said...

Kathy, You make a very good point about the Nero Wolfe books, there is no need to read them in order. There is one group of three novels that form a trilogy and you would not want to read the last one in the series until later, but otherwise it makes little difference. The first time I was reading the books, I got them from the library mostly, and took what they had. Later my grandmother gave me a lot of paperbacks by Stout that she had read. It wasn't until 15 or 20 years later that I read them all in order. If you do get back to the series, I hope you enjoy them.

pattinase (abbott) said...

This review makes me want to reread them all.

Cath said...

Oh, now I didn't realisae it wasn't necessary to read the nero Wolfe books in order. I read the first one and then stopped because the library didn't have book 2. I'll go and see which other ones they do have if it doesn't matter.

TracyK said...

Same here, Patti. I have read around 15 of the Nero Wolfe books and a couple of non-Nero Wolfe books in the last 10 years leaving me plenty more to read, especially the books of novelettes or novellas. They are usually quick reads and fun.

TracyK said...

Cath, with the exception of the very last book, there is no reason to read the Nero Wolfe series in order. As I mentioned in the comment to Kathy, there is a trilogy, which was published later in an omnibus edition called Triple Zeck, but I read those out of order when I first read the books.

Sam said...

That's a really good review of a book I read a really long time ago. You hit on all the reasons that I became such a big fan of the Nero Wolfe series back in the day. I always had a houseful of the Wolfe paperbacks, it seems...until I looked up one and realized that they were all gone, probably disposed of or lost during one of our many moves. These books are much more than just mysteries; to avid readers there is much to be learned about books, new and old. I always appreciated those references and ended up reading many of the books mentioned by Wolfe and the bunch.

TracyK said...

Sam, I still have copies of all the books, but many of them are really old paperbacks with small print, not easy to read. Which is what I read for this one even though I had it on Kindle also.

Another thing I like about these books is that Nero Wolfe always uses a few words that I don't recognize. This time it was analeptic. An analeptic is any drug that stimulates the central nervous system.

reese said...

I should reread this one--it's been a while. I remember it some from your description, but I have forgotten the solution, so it would be fun to reread. And Wolfe's quirks are always so amusing. Fun review.

Margot Kinberg said...

Sorry I'm a bit late to this one, Tracy, but you made a great choice! Gambit is an interesting story, and I've always liked the 'impossible-but-not-really' setup for the murder. Stout did that sort of thing well at times, and this is one of them. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about chess, and I still liked the context for it, too.

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Great review.
I recently (finally) read the first book in the series and really enjoyed it. Your post is a good reminder than I need to pursue this series.
https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/10/18/book-reviews-for-the-1962-club/

TracyK said...

Reese, I was amazed to find that this was on my list of Top Ten Nero Wolfe books. I put together the list back in 2012 and I realized then that it was arbitrary and could change at any time. I like all of the books so much that a list like that doesn't mean much.

TracyK said...

That is true for me too, Margot. Even though I know little about chess, I like books with that theme or background. And you are right, this one is sort of like an impossible crime. I did think this time that I was surprised Wolfe did not see the solution earlier.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Emma. I am sure you will enjoy reading more books in the series if you liked the first one.

I am coming over to see your 1962 books post.

Mallika@ LiteraryPotpourri said...

I read one of these years ago and can remember no details beyond that I enjoyed it (and Wolfe's love of food and orchids), but this one sounds a very interesting one--I like mysteries involving chess though I don't play the game.

TracyK said...

Mallika, this one is different in many ways and it was one of his later Nero Wolfe mysteries. He wrote his books very quickly and never did rewrites, which amazed me and seems impossible.

Fanda Classiclit said...

Now, this is a series I haven't read yet. I liked quirky detectives (looking at Poirot), it gives the detective a unique character besides his detecting skill.
And as you point out that it doesn't necessary to read in order, I might start with this one.

TracyK said...

Fanda, I love this series so I encourage you to give it a try. It doesn't agree with everyone, but it has a lot of loyal fans.