Since I already own so many short story collections and anthologies, not to mention all my husband's short story books, I always plan to avoid those books at the Planned Parenthood book sale. This weekend, on the second day I visited, I got stuck in front of the table of short story collections and bought a lot more of them than I should have.
Below are three of my new short story books. None of them are very long, which is a good thing.
Walk the Blue Fields by Claire Keegan
Claire Keegan is an Irish writer who has gotten a lot of attention (and awards) for her novels and short story books in the last few years. I have some of her books in eBook format, but have not yet read any of them. So I picked up a paperback edition of her second book of short stories. From the back of the book: "Walk the Blue Fields is an unforgettable array of quietly wrenching stories about despair and desire in modern-day Ireland."
166 pages, 7 stories.
Seasonal Work by Laura Lippman
Laura Lippman is a well-known American mystery author and journalist; she worked for the Baltimore Sun for many years. In 2003, she published the first book in the Tess Monaghan series. Monaghan is a private investigator, based in Baltimore. Lippman has also written a good number of standalone mysteries. I have read two mysteries in the Monaghan series, but none of the standalone books, which I have always thought were about subjects too tense for me. The short stories in this book were written between 2009 and 2020, and Tess Monaghan is in some of them but not all of them, I think.
322 pages, 11 stories.
The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr
I have read nothing by American author Anthony Doerr. He is the author of All the Light We Cannot See, for which he won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, and Cloud Cuckoo Land. I was interested in this book of short stories because I thought reading them might get me interested in his novels.
218 pages, 8 stories.
No comments:
Post a Comment