Wednesday, March 13, 2024

January and February Reading, 2024

 




It used to be that most of the books I read were published before 1975; I also read many books published from 1976 to 2000. A smaller percentage of the books I read were published after 2000. As I looked back on my reading in the first two months of this year, I realized that 10 out of the 12 books that I read were published after 2000.  Since I enjoyed almost every book I have read this year, I don't think that is a bad thing. I am just wondering why and when my tastes changed and whether that will continue. I did read two books published in the 1950s, one by Graham Greene and one by Seichō Matsumoto, and both were excellent books.

So here are the book I read...


Nonfiction / Nature

Vesper Flights (2020) by Helen Macdonald

This is a collection of Macdonald's essays, mostly about nature, but sometimes delving into her personal life. Many of the essays focus on birds (which is what I was looking for) but not all. The book was educational, in a fun way. Some of the essays that I especially I enjoyed: "Field Guides," about the evolution of field guides;  "High Rise," about bird watching on the top of the Empire State building, at night; "Ants," about the mating flight of queen ants and drones; "Swan Upping," about mute swans on the River Thames.


Nonfiction / Memoir

Wait for Me! (2010) by Deborah Mitford

I found this book to be a fantastic read, but maybe that is because I enjoy reading about the Mitford sisters so much. The author has a gift of telling short interesting anecdotes. The two other books I have read about the family were biographies and they focused mainly on Nancy (16 years older than Deborah) and Diana (10 years older). Because Deborah was the youngest child (of seven), her view of the family came from a different perspective. The book is divided between her childhood and young adult years with her family and her life as the Duchess of Devonshire. Both were equally of interest to me.  


Fiction

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow (2022) by Gabrielle Zevin

This book is about two young people who create video games. The story starts when Sam Mazur and Sadie Green are about 12 years old and covers the next 30 years in their lives. It does focus on video gaming and the process of creating them, but it is about many other things: relationships, families, judgement and misunderstandings, and ambition. I liked the writing, and I was caught up in the story. My one complaint is that the book is too long at 400 plus pages.  


Days at the Morisaki Bookshop (2010) by Satoshi Yagisawa

I read this book for the Japanese Literary Challenge and for the Bookish Books Challenge. A young woman goes to work in a bookshop owned by her uncle after a romantic relationship ends abruptly. The book is definitely not a romance; there is a lot of emphasis on human relationships, in addition to books and reading. See my review.


A Man Called Ove (2012) by Fredrik Backman

Ove is an older man, nearing sixty, who has fixed ideas about life and often doesn't fit in with societal norms. He often seems cranky or rude. His wife has recently died. Their relationship had its ups and downs, but they were a devoted couple, and she was undoubtedly the most important thing in his life. He has decided that he does not want to go on living without her. This story alternates between very funny episodes and very sad episodes, but it does lean toward the sadder ones. Some chapters tell about the three weeks after his new neighbors move in next door; others describe key times in his earlier life: his childhood, meeting his wife, and his work. I liked the structure and the way the author gradually reveals more and more about Ove and his life. It was a great read and I will be looking for more books by this author.



Crime Fiction

Chilled to the Bone (2013) by Quentin Bates

This is the third book in a police procedural series set in Iceland. The main character is a female policewoman working in the Serious Crime Unit in Reykjavík.  See my review.


Tokyo Express (1958) by Seichō Matsumoto

This was another book I read for the Japanese Literature Challenge. It was Matsumoto's first novel, published in 1958, and was first published in English translation as Points and Lines. See my review.


A Darkness Absolute (2017) by Kelley Armstrong

This is the second book in the Rockton series, and it was just as appealing as the first, City of the Lost, which I read about 3 years ago. Rockton is a small town in the Yukon wilderness, so isolated that most modern conveniences are lacking. Most of the residents are hiding from something in their past. See my review.


Wanting Sheila Dead (2010) by Jane Haddam

Book 25 in the Gregor Demarkian series. The main character is a retired FBI profiler who sometimes does consulting jobs for various police departments. This book is mostly set in the Philadelphia area where Demarkian lives. A reality show is being filmed in the very elaborate home that his wife Bennis grew up in. When a body is found at the house he agrees to check into it. See my review.


Gallows Court (2018) by Martin Edwards

This is the first book in the Rachel Savernake series. It is a departure for Edwards, both a historical mystery (set in the 1930s in London) and a thriller. I did end up liking the book, but it took me 150 pages of 350 pages to get into it, which is not ideal. I liked the way it ended and I thought it was a brilliant mystery, but I wasn't really enjoying it too much as I read it. I also wonder where the next book, Mortmain Hall, will take the main character, so I will definitely be reading it, maybe later in the year.


Judas 62 (2021) by Charles Cumming

This is the second book in the BOX 88 espionage series. BOX 88 is a covert spy agency that is not officially attached to the CIA or MI6, but has contacts in both groups that Box 88 agents can work with. In JUDAS 62, Lachlan Kite is assigned to extract a Russian chemical weapons scientist defector. He goes to the city of Voronezh in Russia as an English Language teacher. That section of the book is set in 1993. The second section is set in 2020 in Dubai. I loved the first book, BOX 88; this one was very good also. 


The Quiet American (1955) by Graham Greene

I have been wanting to read more by Graham Greene and this was a great choice. This book was published in 1955 and the events in this book took place in the early 1950s. The story is set in Saigon, Vietnam and surrounding areas when the French Army and the Viet Minh guerrillas are fighting each other. See my review.


Status of challenges

Back in November 2023, I joined the Wanderlust Bingo Challenge at Fiction Fan's Book Reviews. Five or six of the books I read since the first of the year could work for that challenge, but I still have to work out which squares they would fit best.

I read two books for the Japanese Literature Challenge at Dolce Bellezza, which ran January - February. I will continue reading books translated from Japanese throughout the year. 

I have now formally joined the Bookish Books Reading Challenge at Bloggin' 'bout Books and have completed one book so far. 

The only other challenge I have joined is the Mount TBR Reading Challenge on Goodreads. Every book I have read this year so far (15) counts toward my goal of 48 books so I may have no problem meeting that goal.


Currently reading

I just finished Your Republic is Calling You by Young-ha Kim last night. Published in 2006, the setting is South Korea. It was a different kind of spy fiction and I liked it very much.



Next I will be reading A Beautiful Place to Die by Malla Nunn. The blurb on the book describes it as a "darkly romantic crime novel set in 1950s apartheid South Africa, featuring Detective Emmanuel Cooper." It has been on my shelves for 6 years. 



The photos at the top and bottom of this post were taken at the Santa Barbara International Orchid Show that we attended last week. See the previous post for more photos. Click on the images for the best viewing quality.


18 comments:

Jerry House said...

A MAN CALLED OVE was adapted in film twice. First in 2015 in a Swedish film starring Rolf Lassgard, then in 2022 as A MAN CALLED OTTO with Tom Hanks. Both movies are supposed to be very good, although I have seen neither. The novel -- Backman's first -- was on the New York Times Bestseller List for 42 weeks.

Cath said...

Really beautiful orchids, Tracy!

Vesper Flights was a bit hit and miss for me but there were several essays I liked and the best for me was High Rise.

Wait for Me! was excellent and I'm glad you enjoyed it too. As you said, a very different perspective to the older, more politically active, sisters. I liked her book about chickens too.

I read Gallows Court a few years ago but it didn't really hit the spot for me, much as I like Martin Edwards' other writing. I still don't know why that is, I have book 2 on my Kindle but no urge to read it at the moment.

TracyK said...

Jerry, thanks for the info about the movies. I had heard about the one with Tom Hanks but I did not like the idea that it was set in the US. However, I might give both one of them a try someday.

Margot Kinberg said...

You really had some great reading, Tracy. You've reminded me, too, that I want to move along in the Haddam series, and that I'd like to read more from Matsumoto; I liked Inspector Imanishi Investigates. I'd also like to read A Man Called Ove. I hope you'll enjoy A Beautiful Place to Die. I thought it was an excellent book - a really excellent book. But it is not an easy or light read. I'll be interested in what you think of it.

TracyK said...

Cath, Vesper Flights definitely had its high points and its low points, but I was very glad I read it. I also have H is for Hawk, which I will read some day.

It took me a while to get through Wait for Me! but none of it was boring or a slog. It was especially interesting to read her experiences when she went to John F. Kennedy's inauguration and his funeral. I plan to look for more of her books.

Gallows Court is very different from Edwards' two other mystery series. I am very curious about the second book in the Rachel Savernake series.

TracyK said...

Margot, I have not yet read Inspector Imanishi Investigates but I do have a copy. I think there are a couple more books by him I want to read, but haven't looked into their availability.

I am enjoying A Beautiful Place to Die, and I have read about 20% of it.

Lark said...

I still need to read A Man Called Ove! And Armstrong's Rockton series is so great; don't you just love her characters?

TracyK said...

Lark, A Man Called Ove was a great read, and I might reread it sometime.

The character in the Rockton series are the best thing about the books. I have the third one on my shelves to read soonish.

CLM said...

Oh, the bright pink orchids in the first picture are amazing! You're making me wonder if there are any flower shows in Boston. We do have a tradition called Lilac Sunday in May at an arboretum halfway between my house and my mother's, which is nice (I try to go that week but avoid the Sunday crowds).

I do agree that Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow was excellent but needed some editing. The estrangement was so sad - well, there were a lot of sad parts. The death of the mother, the fight in the hospital, the horrible boyfriend/instructor, the protestors visiting the office, the painful medical parts. But I could not put it down and made my book group read it. Maybe everyone would have finished if it had been shorter. I am hosting next week and we are reading Crying at H Mart - a memoir about food and losing one's mother. I feel I have got the flavor (so to speak) after just a few chapters and should now focus on cleaning the house for guests.

We also read A Man Called Ove in my book group and I was grumbling to myself that they should let ME always pick the books (sometimes I do anyway if no one else has planned ahead) and I did think it was charming but not too much to talk about.

I also like reading about the Mitfords so would enjoy the Deborah's memoir at some point. I went on a real Kelley Armstrong kick a couple years ago and read the first four Rockton books and several of her other series. They began to seem too much the same so I had to take a break but I did enjoy them.

I have liked Martin Edwards' other books but simply could not get into Gallows Court. I own the second and third books in that series so maybe should try again but all the characters were unappealing.

TracyK said...

Constance, I would love to see other types of flower shows also but I don't know of any around here.

Re Tomorrow, and Tomorrow... (the title was too long too):Many people were bothered that the story was told around video gaming and did not want to read the book. And there were even parts where I was getting tired of that aspect. But overall I thought it was a great story about human relationships.

I read some series with so much space in between that any sameness would not bother me. I am interested in Kelley Armstrong's time travel series. But it is the same old story of too many books to read.

I am hoping I will like the 2nd Martin Edwards' book in the Savernake series, and I will be looking for a copy later in the year at the book sale.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Tracy, I read Fredrik Bachman's Beartown which I really enjoyed. I will be going on to the second book in that series. Backman is an excellent writer and I must give The Man Called Ove a try. I also must try one of the Mitford group biographies. Their story fascinates me about why the sisters who grew up in the same family made such different choices.

TracyK said...

Kathy, based on A Man Called Ove, I would be willing to try any of Backman's books next.

I enjoyed both biographies about the six sisters that I read, but I preferred the one by Mary S. Lovell. It was longer and covered more. That is a good question about why the sisters went in such different directions, and I am sure the answer would be very complex. I will try to read as much as I can about the family but it will be at least 6 months because I won't be buying any books for a while, and I would definitely want to own the books. But I have plenty of other books to read in the meantime.

Sam said...

A Man Called Ove is not my favorite Backman book, but I think it was the breakthrough novel for him in this country and I was off to the races after reading that one. I ended up reading something like half-a-dozen Backman books and I especially enjoyed the three he wrote about the impact of local youth hockey teams on small towns in his country. Of the two movie versions, I much preferred the original one with subtitles because so many things were Americanized in the Tom Hanks version that it turned out to be a whole lot less interesting to me. I've heard Backman in conversation, and he is a unique individual...very insecure about his place in the literary world and not afraid to talk about it.

I enjoy the way that you read "older" books so much. I always intend to read more from past decades but it seldom works out for me. Now I'm informally just characterizing books as to 21st and 20th century. Ha

TracyK said...

Sam, The Beartown novels are available on Kindle unlimited right now so maybe I would start there. I would probably prefer the original A Man Called Ove because I would like to see a version set in Sweden.

I do want to get back to reading older books more but right now I am not going to worry about it and just read what strikes me at the time.

thecuecard said...

Gorgeous orchids. I'll go to your previous post pronto. I love your reading wrap-up here. You've had some good reading these past months. I'm most interested perhaps in Vesper Flights .... as it looks quite informative about various birds & creatures. I like natural history reading. Also the novel I just finished Absolution is a bit inspired by Graham Greene's The Quiet American -- a spinoff of the female wife characters it seems. Happy reading in March!

TracyK said...

Susan, I just read about Absolution at your blog and it sounds right up my alley.

Vesper Flight is very good. The author writes so well, it never gets boring.

The orchid show made me want to try my hand at growing orchids in pots in the back again.

Todd Mason said...

Nothing wrong with coming closer to Keeping Up with lit! I've been not doing entirely too often in the last decade, though I have been enjoying digging out obscurities when they are rewarding.

Glad you've had such a good batting average, as well.

TracyK said...

I guess that is true, Todd, it is good to be reading some current fiction and enjoying it. Especially espionage fiction, that I had been neglecting. Now if I could up my science fiction and fantasy reading also.