Sunday, February 4, 2024

Chilled to the Bone: Quentin Bates

 


Blurb on the inside flap of the dust jacket:

When Sergeant Gunnhildur Gísladóttir of the local police force is called in to investigate the death of a man found tied to a bed in one of Reykjavík's nicest hotels, she finds no sign of criminal activity but suspects there may be more to the case than meets the eye. Could the death of the shipowner be related to a local gangster's recent return to Iceland after many years abroad?

What begins as a straightforward case for Gunnhildur soon explodes into a dangerous investigation, involving a discreet bondage society that ruthless men will go to violent extremes to keep secret.


This is the third book in a police procedural series set in Iceland. The main character is a single mother, a policewoman working in the Serious Crime Unit in Reykjavík. I have found this to be a very enjoyable series, with a great main character, who has a realistic life outside of work.

Sergeant Gunnhildur, usually referred to as Gunna, has a teenage daughter living at home, but currently she has concerns about her older son, who works on a fishing boat. He has managed to get two girlfriends pregnant at the same time. Gunna's homelife is challenging at times but she doesn't let it prevent her from doing her job.

This story was fast paced and kept me interested. The story follows various secondary characters who are dealing with conflicts in their lives, and the reader knows that all of this is connected to the case Gunna is working on, but not how and why. It was hard to figure out what the crime is and which characters were good or bad. This sounds like a negative but I enjoyed the suspense.

An added bonus is the setting in Iceland; these books cover the years following the economic collapse of the banking system there. 


After I finished this book, I discovered I had no more books in the series. I have now purchased ebook editions of the 4th and 5th books in the series at a good price, so I will keep reading the series, soon I hope.


 -----------------------------


Publisher:   Soho Crime, 2013
Length:       315 pages
Format:       Hardcover
Series:        Officer Gunnhildur, #3
Setting:       Iceland
Genre:        Police Procedural
Source:       I purchased my copy in 2016.


18 comments:

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Tracy, a mystery set in Iceland sounds interesting. I was looking at a map and Iceland is part of Europe and yet an island onto itself and not many people live there, less than 400,000. A son with two girlfriends pregnant.The detective has alot on her plate to deal with!

TracyK said...

Kathy, I was looking at a map with Iceland on it recently too, and I was amazed at how small a country it is. I realized I don't understand the distinction between Nordic countries and Scandinavian countries. So I am going to have to look into that more... again. I have read 5 books set in Iceland written by three different authors over the last decade.

I do like these books especially because Gunna is a really good character to read about.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Always fun to discover an author and a setting that interests you.

Kay said...

I read the first book in this series a few years ago and really liked it. I think I have at least a couple of others that I've picked up, but they are not read as yet. I need to take a look at the series and see what I have and what I still need. Iceland is an interesting setting. We've had several friends who have visited the country in the last few years. Think it has been popular. I also know that Quentin Bates has translated books for other Icelandic authors. Glad you liked this one and the others, Tracy. And thanks for reminding me about it.

Margot Kinberg said...

I hear a lot of good things about this series, Tracy, but I haven't started it (yet). So much to read!! Thanks for the reminder.

Cath said...

Like Kay, I found the author's name was familair and realised he had translated one of the books by an Icelandic author I read a few years ago. It's a fascinating country, I've read a couple of non-fictions about it and several crime stories.

TracyK said...

Patti, I had read the first two books in this series, but it had been so long it felt like it was all new to me.

Sam said...

So much really good crime fiction seems to be set in Iceland, and I love the almost claustrophobic and dark feel that most of them have. I prefer crime fiction with one or two side plots going on simultaneously to the main one, so this is one I'm going to look for (the series).

TracyK said...

Kay, it is good to hear that someone else has enjoyed the first book in the series. Lesa recently read the first book in the series and liked it. Usually when I read books from another country I prefer ones by authors from that country, but Quentin Bates lived in Iceland at one time and I think he does a good job. Iceland would be a great place to visit.

Lark said...

I haven't tried this series, but I do really like reading books set in Iceland. It's such a fascinating place to read about.

TracyK said...

That is so true, Margot, there are just too many authors and series to keep up with. I do think you would like this series, though.

TracyK said...

Cath, I did not realize that he had translated the Dark Iceland series by Ragnar Jónasson, and I have read the first book in that series. I like Iceland as a setting for mysteries.

TracyK said...

Sam, I have an Icelandic author that I have only read one book by, Arnaldur Indridason. And I have more I got last year at the book sale. So I will try another of his books this year. I like to see different parts of Iceland but many of the books are set in Reykjavik.

TracyK said...

I agree, Lark, Iceland is a great place to read about. I have never been in cold areas like that.

Clothes In Books said...

I'm tempted by this - I'm cautious about reading in Scandi noir, they can be too dark for me. But I do like books set in Iceland. I've never been there, and don't expect I ever will go, but it fascinates me.

thecuecard said...

Yeah crime stories set in Iceland seem great. It reminds me of the tv series Trapped which was on a few years ago and was police show set in Iceland. Nice & spooky.

TracyK said...

Moira, if could be transported to any spot without traveling on a plane, I would choose Iceland. I have read some Scandinavian that are too noir but this is definitely not like that. It isn't a cozy either, somewhere in between.

TracyK said...

Susan, I had not heard of Trapped. I looked it up, it sounds interesting. I think we could only stream one season of it, but it might be worth it to see the scenery.