Monday, October 30, 2017

My Son's Book Sale Purchases


I am totally unrestrained at the annual book sale, but the rest of the family have much more control, usually buying somewhere between 10 and 20 books apiece. My son is mostly there for fantasy and science fiction. These are a few of his picks. With awesome cover art.



The Shotgun Arcana by R. S. Belcher
Goodreads summary:
R. S. Belcher’s debut novel, The Six-Gun Tarot, was enthusiastically greeted by critics and readers, who praised its wildly inventive mixture of dark fantasy, steampunk, and the Wild West. Now Belcher returns to Golgotha, Nevada, a bustling frontier town that hides more than its fair share of unnatural secrets.


Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins
From the back cover of the book:
Investigator Vissarion Lom has been summoned to the capital in order to catch a terrorist --- and ordered to report directly to the head of the secret police. 
A totalitarian state, worn down by an endless war, must be seen to crush home-grown insurgents with an iron fist. But Lom discovers Mirgorod to be more corrupted than he imagined: a murky world of secret police and revolutionaries, cabaret clubs and doomed artists. 
This novel is a blend of fantasy, science fiction and thriller, set in an alternative Russia. Just my kind of book.



Skullduggery Pleasant: Death Bringer by Derek Landy
The best description of this young adult fantasy series was at Wikipedia:
Skulduggery Pleasant is a series of fantasy novels written by Irish author Derek Landy. The books revolve around the adventures of the skeleton detective, Skulduggery Pleasant, and a teenage girl, Stephanie Edgley/Valkyrie Cain, along with other friends.
The series appears to be very popular, and not just with kids. Death Bringer is the sixth book in the series.



Bonesy by Mark Rigney
When Reverend Renner's mentor gives him a brass rubbing of a skeleton, a chain of calamity. The skeletal image, nick-named Bonesy, breaks free from its frame and begins a violent, chaotic search for--what? It's up to Renner and his investigative partner, ex-linebacker Dale Quist, to uncover Bonesy's spectral motives.



Gestapo Mars by Victor Gischler
From the back cover of the book:
Carter Sloan is a trained assassin—the best there is, pulled out of cryogenic sleep whenever an assignment demands his skills. So when he’s kept in the deep freeze for 258 years, he’s seriously pissed off.
My son has finished reading this book already, and he liked it. I read the first chapter in this book and it was great. I want to read it.


17 comments:

col2910 said...

The covers are interesting, but probably not my kind of reading. My son read some of the earlier Landy books in the series and I've read a lot from Victor Gischler myself years ago. Gischler seems to have gravitated away from crime fiction into comics and the like now.

NancyElin said...

This book wins 'Title of the Year' ...in my book! How do you think this up?

pattinase (abbott) said...

I can see my grandson reading these in a few years. Right up his alley.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those look great, Tracy. I'm glad your son found so many books to interest him. And with those skeletons on some of the covers, what's not to like?

TracyK said...

I think I would enjoy the Skulduggery Pleasant books myself, Col, but I already have a stack of my son's books to read sometime, so I will hold off. I was reading about Gischler and his books sound interesting and I did see he had worked on comics too.

TracyK said...

My favorite cover of all of these is the top one, but all of them are contenders. I wish I could read as fast as my son does.

TracyK said...

Most of them look really good to me, Patti.

TracyK said...

I know, I love the covers, Margot, and I am covetous of several of the books he found. He found a few for me too, science fiction authors I had been looking for.

Hervey Copeland said...

I hope the books are at least half as good as the covers ;-)

TracyK said...

I hope so too, Hervey, and I sure my son will enjoy them all.

Yvette said...

Great covers, Tracy! I've added two of the titles to my TBR list for when I'm in the mood. SHOTGUN ARCANA and GESTAPO MARS. :)

TracyK said...

I am always appreciative that my son goes through all the science fiction and fantasy books at the sale, Yvette, so he can introduce me to new authors that I would not normally find. He does pick some great covers. And he is more willing to take a chance on unknown books and authors than I am.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, I like all your son's choices and especially "Gestapo Mars."

TracyK said...

Yes, that one really appeals to me too, Prashant. Good to hear from you again, and I hope you are doing well.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

I am, Tracy — thanks. I've been tied up with work to do much on the blogging front. I have got to find some balance.

TracyK said...

I understand, Prashant. My work is not so demanding but I know how much energy blogging can take.

12th Nightmare said...

this is another comment!!!