Friday, August 28, 2026

Middlemarch: George Eliot

I read Middlemarch by George Eliot for my 20 Books of Summer list. I had never been interested in reading Middlemarch until recently, but my husband was interested in the book and found a nice copy at the September book sale in 2022. Then in the spring  of this year I got interested in the book myself. I started reading it on June 4th and finished reading on July 4th. It was quite an experience.


A summary of Middlemarch at the publisher's website:

A triumph of realist fiction, George Eliot’s Middlemarch: A Study of Provincial Life explores a fictional nineteenth-century Midlands town in the midst of sweeping change. The proposed Reform Bill, the new railroads, and scientific advances are threatening upheaval on every front. Against this backdrop, the quiet drama of ordinary lives is played out by the novel’s complexly portrayed characters—until the arrival of two outsiders further disrupts the town’s equilibrium. Every bit as powerful and perceptive in our time as it was in the Victorian era, Middlemarch displays George Eliot’s clear-eyed yet humane understanding of characters caught up in the mysterious unfolding of self-knowledge. 


For me, this was a book about marriages. Some of them were happy and some of them were unhappy, but all of them had bumps along the road. The story begins with Dorothea Brooke's engagement to Mr. Casaubon. Dorothea is nineteen and Casaubon is in his fifties, a clergyman and a scholar. Later, Dr. Tertius Lydgate, who is new to Middlemarch, courts Rosemond Vincy, who has a very high opinion of herself and is used to spending money as she pleases. Both of these couples go into their marriage with very little knowledge of their future spouses. 

My focus on the relationships of these characters may be misleading, because their stories and the stories of many others in the book give us a picture of life in provincial England in the early 1830s, and the many changes that were going in the nation and the world at the time. 



My experience with reading Middlemarch

I usually try not to read reviews of a book before I begin reading it. I don't want to know any plot points in advance. However, in this case, that probably was not a good idea. Although I had read suggestions to take time to read the book, I really did not plan to spend that much time on it. Otherwise I would not have put it in on my 20 Books of Summer list.

Once I got started I got bogged down immediately. I would estimate that the first 200 pages were very hard for me to read; I was not enjoying the writing style or the characters. At times I wondered if I could finish the book. The next 300 pages improved and I started liking all the separate story threads, some of them intertwining. The last 300 pages were very good and I was motivated to read more each day.

My takeaway from all of this is that anyone reading this for the first time should plan to spend a good bit of time on the book. I personally would not make it a year-long read, but I should have read the book at a more leisurely pace. 

 

What did I like best about Middlemarch?

How the story is told:

The narration in this book really impressed me. The narrator often breaks off and seems to have a conversation with the reader about the characters and their behavior, or admonishing the reader to have sympathy for some of the most unsympathetic characters. The narrator sometimes slips from third-person narration to first-person narration, which can be jarring but it kept me paying attention to what was going on.

Good characterization: 

A few of the characters don't show up that much and thus are not fully developed characters. But the majority of the primary characters are fully fleshed out over the course of the book. Some of the characters I did not like at the beginning but I sympathized more and more with as the story progressed. 

Caleb Garth is only a supporting character but he was one of my favorite characters. He is a land agent and surveyor, and he has integrity in his work and personal relations. 

I learned a lot:

The 1830s were an interesting time and I knew very little about that time. There was a section in the book about the railroads (and how their arrival could affect the area around Middlemarch) and I admit that I did not understand it at all. And that makes me want to learn more on the subject.  

It has an excellent ending:

Not every reader of Middlemarch would agree with that, I am sure.  But for me the last 100 pages had me on tenterhooks. The ending was very emotional for me.  


In conclusion, although my first experience with Middlemarch was not all pleasant, I plan to reread the book; I would like to reread it again in 2027, but before that I plan to read My Life With Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead, where she discusses her experiences with reading Middlemarch over the years. 

I read my husband's copy of Middlemarch. It is a Zodiac Press edition, first published in 1950. His copy was the 6th Impression, reissued in 1982. It is a hardback edition featuring a distinctive geometric patterned cover. The print size is not as large as I would like but I did not have a hard time reading it. The number of pages was around 790.

George Eliot was the pen name of Mary Ann Evans. She wrote seven novels between 1859 and 1876. Per Goodreads, "her works are known for their realism, psychological insight, sense of place and detailed depiction of the countryside." I have not read any other books by her.


1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

There are some books you really should take some time to read, Tracy, and this is one of them. You get the full flavor and all the nuances of the story that way. I'm glad you're planning to re-read it; when I do that with some books, I get nuances I wouldn't otherwise get.